Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
02-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #1

Food Intolerance

Does anybody know if you continue to eat a food that you are intolerant to, can it develope into an allergy ?

I have an intolerance to eggs, this only came on a couple of years ago, before then I had been fine eating them. Up untill recently I was ok if just didnt eat eggs, but lately eating foods that contain eggs, mayo, cakes, muffins etc has started to make me feel really ill too.
I was baking at work today and you know what its like, you have to clean to bowl of the mixture anyway I only had 2 small tastes, my service user had the rest. Within 10 mins of this I was being sick and have felt really sick since
It does seem to be getting gradually worse.
I LOVE eggs, and do very occasionally give in to a bacon and egg sandwhich or fry up (usually after a heavy nights drinking), but the reaction to them is getting so bad now I think Im going to have to avoid everything that contains eggs,....no more blueberry muffins

Or does anybody know if theres a way of building up a tolerance to them? I do love my blueberry muffins, not sure I could give them up

Any help or advise would be great, thats guys x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
02-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #2

Re: Food Intolerance

Mmm, raw egg? Not a great idea.
I've never understood the fascination for raw cake mix - raw flour, butter, raw eggs and sugar? Yukky. Now when they're cooked .....

I'm not an expert on food intolerance - sorry Erin. Hope you're feeling better soon though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #3

I used to devour my Mum's cake batter . . . Mmmm tasty
Erin, I believe yes - if you continue to eat it then it can get worse. Especially if you completely leave off the offending food and then come back to it you can risk stronger reactions.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
02-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #4

Thanks both, DM, I absolutley love raw cake mix, very tasty!!!

Thanks Yola, I was afraid somebody was going to reply something like that, oh well, looks like the eggs have beaten me no more blueberry muffins for me from now on.

I really would have thought that eating the food in small doses would have helped build up a tolerance, which is why I only stopped eating eggs and contiued to eat food containing eggs. Im also wondering now if this egg intolerance is in anyway connected to the stomach problems I have and the whole cause of my "ibs" (still not conviced I have ibs) hmmmm time shall tell I suppose

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
02-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #5

Are you feeling any better erin?

I don't know much about food intolerance/allergies - sorry!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #6

It's something I have no experience with or knowledge of, Erin; I think a referral to an allergist is in order, as t seems to be getting worse.

And I'd never joke about being deprived of blueberry muffins....one of my very fave things with a nice cuppa!

Catsey Veteran

02-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Mmm, raw egg? Not a great idea.
I've never understood the fascination for raw cake mix - raw flour, butter, raw eggs and sugar? Yukky. Now when they're cooked .....

I'm not an expert on food intolerance - sorry Erin. Hope you're feeling better soon though
Me neither, but the bowl that held the chocolate icing .....yummy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
02-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #8

My son has stomach issues.. not sure what it is really, but he has been tested for egg allergy and is allergic to the egg white but is ok with the yolk.. he doesnt stop eating food with egg in, and he does suffer from tummy ache, sickness etc etc... he wont be told and I get annoyed that he doesnt pay attention to his diet when he knows it makes his tummy bad...

Just wanted to say, its not nice to have to stop eating things you like, so you have my sympathies.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
02-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #9

there is/was a program on about allergies,the clip i saw was about nuts.they got them over there allergy by gradually giving them nuts,getting more as the reaction lessoned,didnt watch the end so didnt see wot happened

Catsey Veteran

02-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #10

I saw this on our TV here; they warned you not to try to do it yourself. Needs to be done under medical supervision as a very bad allergic reaction could occur if the increase in amounts wasn't exactly measured.