Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
16-09-2005, 09:30 PM   #1

Books about cats?

Have any of you read books about cats and have you a favourite (or 10 )

I like

Derek Tangye - who wrote about Minack his life there, his cats over the years and his donkey's well worth reading)

Samantha Mooney - "snowflake in my hand" about New York animal centre - sad but makes you carry on reading.

Can't think of his name but its about an American writer who takes in a cat called "Cat who came for Christmas" - I loaned this book out about 4 years ago and haven't got it back

Also Daisy's diary's or cats diary's about a cat who writes in her diaries about her and her sisters "uprights" humans.

What are your favourites?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-09-2005, 10:09 PM   #2

Re: Books about cats?

To be honest I don't really do fiction books. I read non fiction books, I just love absorbing knowledge...I don't do fantasy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
17-09-2005, 12:16 AM   #3

Must be honest I don't read fiction, but I did come across a copy of Alices diary. I read it & loved it! My fave book in the world! It's so funny & so true, you can just imagine Alice writing it.

Catsey Veteran

17-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #4

Thats it Alice's diary not DAisy's Daisy is the catssister isn't she.

Ta Smudgley.

Catsey Veteran

17-09-2005, 09:34 PM   #5

from Alice's diary - written by Alice the tabby cat about her friend Penelope who she is trying to give hunting lessons

January 24th.

Penelope had her 1st hunting lesson today. I do hope that it was not an omen for the future. I don't wish to be unkind but I think that Penelope is going to have real difficulty catching anything that can still move. If I spend 2 hours a day for the next year, instilling her with the fundamentals then it is just possible that she will be able to catch a stuffed mouse by next summer. But I wouldn't bet on it She seems genetically incapable of stalking. She forgets to put her claws out when she pounces.She makes a noise like a lawnmower when she's moving through the grass and she has absoloutely no patience at all. Nor does she have any killer instict, when I showed her the carcass of a mouse I caught a couple of days ago she was quite upset.

Catsey Veteran

17-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #6

Then there's the bit about when they bring a mouse (alive I think but stunned) to the uprights and they say the upright in the skirt got really excited

Karen

Catsey Veteran

18-09-2005, 09:53 AM   #7

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
31-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #8

i know this isn't a new thread but it has good content, so i thought i would add my contribution.
Stray by A.N Wilson is about the life and tails of a large tabby tom named pufftail, taken from the family home sold in a petshop and from their things go down hill. it had rave reviews from all the magor literacy reviewers, a must do for all moggy fans, it was first published in 89 i think but it was reproduced not so long ago and is just so brillian.

i alos like mmet my cats~Lesley Anne ivory a book about the life and times of all her cats acomplished by her fabulous artwork of the kitties in question

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
31-10-2005, 03:41 PM   #9

Can't remember entire books about cats but my favourite bit is from Watership Down, where a mother cat is speaking to her kittens about life's pitfalls, things that might happen, embarrassing situations and she instructs them 'and when that happens..............wash!'. That's so true - all cats only appear embarrassed for a nanosecond before they revert to the vigorous face-wash!

My other memories would be kiddie cat books; -
Mog, The Forgetful Cat
The Kitten Who Couldn't Get Down (he went into the attic to investigate 'fusty, dusty, musty, mousey smells')
Smoke and Fluff - a dreadful Ladybird rhyming book.
My daughter will be 30 soon, I read to her from day 1 and I think this was one of her favourites and one of my least favourites. I'd do the good Mummy thing and say, fetch a book and I'll read you, and out it would come I remember it now - Mrs Cat was busy knitting, didn't notice soon enough, kittens underneath the table, something Smoke and naughty Fluff - Aaaaarrrgh!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
31-10-2005, 04:16 PM   #10

The only book I've read about cats that's fiction (allegedly) is Basil the Bionic Cat. It's actually by a lady I know from another Cat site and although a kids book (well tweenies to teens), it's a brilliant read. She even sent Dominik a signed picture of Basil . . . bless her!!