Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #1

Guidelines for the Vaccination of Cats and Dogs

I have copied this from another forum as I know it is a topic that will interest Catsey members.

COMPILED BY THE VACCINATION GUIDELINES GROUP (VGG) OF THE WORLD SMALL ANIMAL VETERINARY ASSOCIATION (WSAVA) JUNE 2010

Taken from the Executive Summary:

"The WSAVA Vaccination Guidelines Group (VGG) was convened in order to develop guidelines for the vaccination of dogs and cats that have global application. The first version of these guidelines was published in 2007. A survey of WSAVA member nations has indicated the important role these guidelines have played globally. They have been adopted as national policy in some countries where such guidelines did not previously exist, and have been used by other countries as a basis for development of national guidelines. The present document provides an updated and expanded version of these international guidelines for the vaccination of small companion animals. The VGG recognizes that the keeping of pet small animals is subject to significant variation in practice and associated economics throughout the world, and that vaccination recommendations that might apply to a developed country, may not be appropriate for a developing country. Despite this, the VGG strongly recommends that wherever possible ALL dogs and cats receive the benefit of vaccination. This not only protects the individual animal, but provides optimum ‘herd immunity’ that minimizes the likelihood of an infectious disease outbreak.

With this background in mind, the VGG has defined core vaccines which ALL dogs and cats, regardless of circumstances, should receive. Core vaccines protect animals from severe, life-threatening diseases that have global distribution. Core vaccines for dogs are those that protect from canine distemper virus (CDV), canine adenovirus (CAV) and canine parvovirus type 2 (CPV-2). Core vaccines for cats are those that protect from feline parvovirus (FPV), feline calicivirus (FCV) and feline herpesvirus-1 (FHV-1). In areas of the world where rabies virus infection is endemic, vaccination against this agent should be considered core for both species, even if there is no legal requirement for routine vaccination.

The VGG recognizes that maternally derived antibody (MDA) significantly interferes with the efficacy of most current core vaccines administered to pups and kittens in early life. As the level of MDA varies significantly among litters, the VGG recommends the administration of three vaccine doses to pups and kittens, with the final dose of these being delivered at 14–16 weeks of age or above. In cultural or financial situations where a pet animal may only be permitted the benefit of a single vaccination, that vaccination should be with core vaccines at 16 weeks of age or above.

The VGG supports the development and use of simple in-practice tests for determination of seroconversion (antibody) following vaccination.

Vaccines should not be given needlessly. Core vaccines should not be given any more frequently than every three years after the 12 month booster injection following the puppy/kitten series, because the duration of immunity (DOI) is many years and may be up to the lifetime of the pet.

The VGG has defined non-core vaccines as those that are required by only those animals whose geographical location, local environment or lifestyle places them at risk of contracting specific infections. The VGG has also classified some vaccines as not recommended (where there is insufficient scientific evidence to justify their use) and has not considered a number of minority products which have restricted geographical availability or application.

The VGG strongly supports the concept of the ‘annual health check’ which removes the emphasis from, and client expectation of, annual revaccination. The annual health check may still encompass administration of selected non-core vaccines which should be administered annually, as the DOI for these products is generally one year or less.

The VGG has considered the use of vaccines in the shelter environment, again recognizing the particular nature of such establishments and the financial constraints under which they operate. The VGG minimum shelter guidelines are simple: that all dogs and cats entering such an establishment should be vaccinated before, or at the time of entry, with core vaccines only. Where finances permit, repeated core vaccination should be administered as per the schedules defined in the guidelines.

The VGG recognizes the importance of adverse reaction reporting schemes but understands that these are variably developed in different countries. Wherever possible, veterinarians should be actively encouraged to report all possible adverse events to the manufacturer and/or regulatory authority to expand the knowledge base that drives development of improved vaccine safety.

These fundamental concepts proposed by the VGG may be encapsulated in the following statement:
We should aim to vaccinate every animal with core vaccines, and to vaccinate each individual less frequently by only giving non-core vaccines that are necessary for that animal."

http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/pdf/WSAVAguidelines.pdf

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
28-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #2

Re: Guidelines for the Vaccination of Cats and Dogs

There is a lot of talk about Vaccines on different forums.

I was on a social net working group last week and someone posted about over vaccinating and I replied to it, got a very aggressive reply back so just left the group - end of. A lot of groups and forums have members who can be like that, that is what I like about Catsey, everyone is friendly and respect each others point of views

Amber is booked in for hers next week

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #3

Sorry about the aggro you found on the other site, Velvet. We get similar responses on the forum this extract was copied from when discussing (or trying to!) parti-coloured Schnauzers!!! Some things just seem to make people's blood boil.

What I would like to see re vaccinations is vets actually telling their clients about the 3 year time span with boosters. I'd be interested to hear if your vet tells you about it ............. maybe you could ask? Kizzy and Pip have had their boosters this year and there was no mention from the vet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
28-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

i may get slated for this, but personally i dont believe in boosters for my lot. now pips a house cat, and he doesnt get out, hes had his initial vaccines i would always get them.
i recently took pip for his boosters, purely for the reason of getting him insured. it was a locum vet and firstly she said as he'd went over 18 months without a booster he'd need his initial vaccines again?? (yeh and its double the cost!) so i said ok! then she got him out to weigh him, he was 5.11 kg and she said i'd need to cut back his food!! now pips certainly not fat, he is very active and gererally a heavy lad. then she asked if he was microchipped and when i said yes proceded to scan him as if i was lying. then i was asked if i reguarly flea and work him, to which i said only if needed. im not going to give my animal drugs and chemicals which he doesnt need, esp in the case of fleas when they can become resistant to the chemicals we use on them!

sorry went a bit off topic there but basically felt as if i was a bad owner because he was overdue his booster!

i often wonder why a yearly booster is recommended for cats/dogs, is it just a ploy for money??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
30-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #5

I suppose i could mention it Angie, however being involved with rescue (like so many others) i would always get the booster, just in case i was in contact with an animal that had something contagious. There are too many farms near where i live & farm cats dont get vacc'd & yes i know many live to a ripe old age, however some dont....

Initially my vets were surprised when i asked that our kittens are chipped when being neutered/ spayed. Dont think many cat owners here ask for it, although we are trying to spread the word through SNGs. Think of how many cats & kittens could be reunited if 'strays' were all chipped. A lot of people dont even realise you can get cats chipped!

As for the flea-ing & worming, thats standard practise, they all ask that at booster time & weigh the cat/s. Ours do anyway. Mindy at her first booster was 4.5 kilos & vet said as she was still a kitten, she had a lot of growing still to do. Think theyre all different. It will be interesting to see what size/weight Mindy ends up, she was such a tiny undersized /underweight kitten the only bit of 'tortie' attitude she has is her ornery stubborness & liking to take herself off to be alone for periods of time. Used to think latter was unique to her until speaking to someone in rescue recently who has five torties & says taking themselves off to be alone is a tortie thing . Otherwise shes very laid back, gentle, kind & sweet.