Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: na
13-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #1

pet insurance

Hello there. I was just wondering about insurance for cats? What exactly does it cover and is it worth having or would I be better putting money aside eAch week for vet bills?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
13-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #2

Re: pet insurance

I think Pet Insurance is a MUST HAVE!! On Vet bills this year I have saved about £1000!! My two kittens got quite ill and had to have all sorts of anti biotics, be put on a drip overnight, and blood samples and would have cost me abot £1200 , but , because of my insurance ,I ended up paying about £200!! I am with MORE THAN Pet insurance and they payed out within 5 weeks from getting the information and bill from the Vet!! I forgot to say that mine is a "Lifetime Cover" as well as Velvet's. Think you need to take that type of policy out for your new Kitten/Cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #3

Pet Plan here - lifetime cover.

Cats owned: Two moggies
14-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #4

I also have pet plan lifetime cover for both my cats and pay £25 ish per month for both.
I was putting money in an account per month but it would take me years to amount to the thousands of pounds I know others to have spent out on vet bills due to a particular illness.

Catsey Senior

JMPARK is Male
14-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiekins
I also have pet plan lifetime cover for both my cats and pay £25 ish per month for both.
I was putting money in an account per month but it would take me years to amount to the thousands of pounds I know others to have spent out on vet bills due to a particular illness.
My insurance is £7.25 per month each and has just gone up from £5.75 as they are now both classed as Adults ( being over 1 year old). But is an excellent "plan" and they paid out really quickly

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
17-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #6

i have pet insurance for both mine with the pdsa. Its about £5.83 for Skye and £6 for Harris. I took out the maximum plan for them as it has the better cover. The only thing with our vet is that we have to pay the fees up front and then claim them back. That's a condition of the vet not the insurer.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #7

PetPlan lifetime cover for mine, when Eva was ill, the bill was just shy of £3000, they paid out within two weeks.

Its hard to say whether you should or shouldnt take out insurance. Winston never had insurance and was never at the vets until he was over 18yrs old and his kidneys began to fail. The last two and half years of his life were expensive but he was my best mate and I begrudged him nothing. Following cats have been insured and I have needed it and was glad I had it.

Cats owned: na
18-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #8

I guess its just going to be a case of shopping. Around for the best deal. I think it'll be best bet to take it out especially as ruby is going to be allowed outside and she's already into everything lol

Catsey Senior

JMPARK is Male
19-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #9

I was very lucky when we had to pay as the vet allowed us to pay the "excess" and waited until we got the Insurance money back, which was about 3-4 weeks later

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
19-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #10

I had both my cats insured with pet plan, but moved Lester's as they were far too expensive. I have kept tiger's with pet plan as I am already claiming for an existing condition. If Lester becomes ill, I will need to pay and claim it back though as this is a condition of them being an agent for pet plan.