Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixbreeds
15-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

Overgrooming and wobbly back legs. Help?

Hi there.

My 3 1/2 year old, neutered male, George, has been overgrooming his back legs over the past couple of weeks. He's long haired, but has a fine coat, and he's over-licking the back and sides of his thighs to the point of bald spots and thinning fur.

I took him to the vet last night, who remarked that he was somewhat underweight, although he eats well, and to keep an eye on the patches to see if they grow back in. He gave him a neck drop for worms and parasites and sent us on our way.

This afternoon though, I've noticed George was quite unsteady on his back legs, slipping twice as he walked around the kitchen work surface, and his back legs shook a little and seemed to buckle once.

I don't want to go rushing back to the vet crying wolf, but this does have me concerned as I hadn't noticed anything wrong with his gait before he was taken to the vet yesterday. This out of character clumsiness coupled with the overgrooming has me worried.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
15-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #2

Re: Overgrooming and wobbly back legs. Help?

Hello , welcome to Catsey.
Sorry to hear about George's problem.
I guess the vet was thinking of fleas and worms and has gone to rule these out with the neck drop.
If you notice he's still wobbly tomorrow I would check back with the vet, it does sound strange. Maybe you could video him walking as once at the vets he may not want to move around.
I once had a cat with a potassium deficiency which affected his legs.
Keep us posted

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
15-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #3

I'd give the vet a call tbh, maybe talk with him to see if he can shed a little more light into what might be causing it but I suspect he will want to see your cat again to make a proper diagnosis.
You have every reason to be worried and you are not crying wolf. I'd be worried too.

Catsey Junior

15-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses! I'm hoping it's maybe some lingering soreness from being poked and prodded at the vets rather than anything more sinister. However, I will be keeping a close eye on his, and if it persists tomorrow then another check over will be in order.

Will let you know how it goes!

Catsey Veteran

16-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #5

Hope George is ok today

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
16-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #6

Over grooming can also be a sign of allergies, and seeing that you say he is slim it might be worth looking into. I would go back to the vet anyway if he was wobbly.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy's
22-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #7

Hi, just wondering how George is getting on. Did you find out the cause of his wobbly legs?

Catsey Junior

22-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #8

Thankfully by the morning he was back to his normal self His legs are still patchy, but I'm keeping an eye on him, and hopefully the wobbly legs are gone for good!

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #9

Glad to hear George is ok

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Cross-breed (Maine Coon)
26-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #10

Did the vet check his blood pressure? My cat (though a lot older than George at 14) has an over-active thyroid and at his latest check up my vet asked if he was steady on his feet as this can sometimes be a symptom of high blood pressure, which often goes in tandem with hyperthyroidism. As I say George is very young to be troubled with his thyroid but if he gets wobbly on his pins again, it might be worth getting his blood pressure checked.

Glad he's feeling better x