Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Black&White & 1 Tabby
12-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #1

Arthritis in 12 year old cat

Not been on here for quite a while, but I always seem to get friendy & helpful advice whenever I drop in.

I took my cats to the vets today for their annual boosters. Mitzi's health check was fine but when Molly, my 12 year old, was being examined she let out a strange "mowl" as though she was in pain. Just to make sure the vet ran her hands down Molly's body again and sure enough in the same place on her lower spine she let out the same sound again. Her weight is fine, 3.8 Kgs. I did mention to the vet that recently Molly has not liked being brushed, especially near the lower end of her back and also she was not grooming herself as much as usual and her fur had started to matt a little.
The vet mentioned that she probably had the beginnings of arthritis, informed us of our options and to go away and think about medication. We were offered a blood test and pain medication(obviously dependant on the blood results) or Glucosamin & Chondroiton capsules (Synoquin Cat).
We opted straight away for the G&C capsules, (hubby takes human version for his knees & swears by them). So hopefully that will help Molly, we have a 6 week supply to see how she goes, so fingers crossed it works.

Molly eats James Wellbeloved Senior, only dry in the morning & in the evening with a small amount of Feline Fayre & she is also partial to some of hubby's tinned mackeral in oil. Would there be anything else that would be beneficial to her, as I hate to think that she is in pain and we are unaware as she shows no signs? She is not the most active cat, follows the laser pen for about 20-30 seconds and then she's bored of it and doesn't really like to play. I do give her Vets Kitchen cat treats and I make her follow me round to get her moving!!

Have googled arthritis in cats and all seem to say similar, i.e supplements or pain medication.
Looking forward to suggestions/ideas and thanks in advance.

Kind regards, Susan

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #2

Re: Arthritis in 12 year old cat

Sorry to read about Molly and her condition, I'm afraid I cannt offer any advice other than what you have probably read. I hope you find something that suits her and gives her some relief. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

So sorry to hear about Molly - I would have suggested glucosamine and a pain killer if you can get her to take it and dependent on her bloods. Trying to keep her moving is a very good idea. I too hope you can find a balance of things to help her and at least reduce her pain.

Catsey Junior

13-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #4

Thanks Elaine.

I thought as much that not a lot could be done, having googled it. It was still worth asking though.

Well all we can do is keep on trying the supplements and hope that helps You never know they could Molly a new lease of life!

Susan XXX

Catsey Junior

13-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
So sorry to hear about Molly - I would have suggested glucosamine and a pain killer if you can get her to take it and dependent on her bloods. Trying to keep her moving is a very good idea. I too hope you can find a balance of things to help her and at least reduce her pain.
Thanks also angieh.

Vet has recommended 2 glucosamine& chondrioton tablets for 6 weeks and then 1 daily. At least we can open capsules and sprinkle powder to mix in her food, which she is eating fine. So I guess one step at a time and if they dont work well the next step would be pain killers. Just want to do whatever is best for Molly.

Susan XXX

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
16-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #6

We have found acupuncture very effective in arthritic cats,obviously assuming they will tolerate it. In honesty the ones we have tried have, although some like to clamber into your arms, which can case the needles to slip as they are so thin.
Pudding is the most recent receiving treatment ( she is hyperthyroid and in renal failure, so no metacam)' she's a bit of a fidget but has actually increased muscle mass on her spine, and that is when she also has spondylitis. This as been confirmed with x-rays, which may be helpful for the acupuncturist anyway.