Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdolls
05-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #1

The dreaded flea word!!

Hiya,

So I took Ernesto and Luna to vets today for their first injections and general health check. I didn't have any concerns, eating fine, gaining weight etc.

However it would seem Ernesto has ear mites but not Luna, the vet gave us ear drops for them both. He also checked them for fleas and Ernesto's comb was clean BUT Luna's comb found one live flea (I'm actually shuddering as I type this). He treated them both with advocate and since getting home I've treated tinkerbelle and our dog Phoebe (have noticed no signs of ANY of them itching mind).

Now I asked the vet what else I needed in terms of ridding the house of these vile mini beasts and he was of the opinion that simply treating the animals was enough, he said if any eggs had been laid anywhere they would die as would not survive on the animals.... ??? Is he right? I feel I should be gasing the house. I kept asking if he was certain it's all I needed to do and he maintained it, treating the house etc was unnecessary as they'd die off now they had no where to feed.

HELP!

And of course thanks in advance x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
05-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #2

Re: The dreaded flea word!!

You can buy a product called Acclaim household flea spray. It used to be vet only however I have seen it on eBay when I googled it recently for someone else. It's very effective if you want to be doubly sure.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
05-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #3

A household spray is usually recommended as is hoovering around your carpet edges and washing any pet bedding.Cat fleas don't live on humans but they can bite us, probably a case of any port in a storm

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdolls
05-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #4

Ok thanks Velvey and Shelley, I'll get that Acclaim spray now and blast the house. DId anyone else start itching when they read the post? Urgh horrid little beasties!x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #5

I can vouch that Acclaim really works - sounds to me as if you've caught any problem right at the start if only one live flea was found. As your vet said, after treatment anything hatching out on your animals will die.

Horrid things fleas.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
05-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #6

Treating just the animal is not enough.
Once a flea has fed, it can survive a long time in your house (i'm talking a year or two), so it's always best to use some sort of treatment in the house