Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
12-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #1

Baby Ben isn't at all well :(

You may remember due to illness in the rescue, we had to defer getting our kitten (Ben) until he had had his second vaccination & a week after that, so we did everything right as advised by our Vet. We have now had Ben home 2 and 1/2 weeks

From we got Ben home I've noticed him sneezing, mentioned it to the vet who thought maybe allergy related as it was a dry type of sneeze if that makes sense. She said it it was anything else the vaccinations would hit it on the head. Over past couple days the sneezing changed to sounding more mucous related & last night you could hear phlegm in his throat as he coughed when he sneezed as if choking on it. Yesterday morning I had noticed a little discharge from his eyes but after cleaning off, it didn't recur. As its a public holiday here over next couple days decided to play safe and take Ben to the vets today

Under the vet's lights you could see nasal discharge his wee glands are swollen up and despite his vaccinations, he has Cat Flu

Our vet says that in all probability he had Cat Flu prior to getting the vaccinations and the virus has lay latent & because he is run down, it has now come to the surface

He got a antiviral injection which has to be repeated every other day, we have to go back Friday and Sunday to get injections. He may need them for a month. He has antibiotics to take (not looking forward to that)

Because Timmy & Mindy's vaccination boosters are due at beginning of August, the vet thinks it is advisable to bring them forward to now, so they are booked in on Monday just to be on safe side.

It just seems so unreal that this little kitten is now so ill & shows just what a horribly resiliant virus, Cat Flu is

Please keep little Ben in your thoughts

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
12-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #2

Re: Baby Ben isn't at all well :(

aww what a wee soul. il certainly keep in my thoughts for him to be strong and fight the nasty flu

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #3

Helen, i'm so sorry to hear little Ben is so poorly. I do hope he's feeling better soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
12-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #4

aww get well soon ben xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
13-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #5

wee love, hope he recovers very soon x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdolls
13-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #6

Lots of love to little Ben xxx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #7

I do hope little Ben recovers soon

Catsey Veteran

13-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #8

Ben got his second injection today. Poor wee man is so sleepy and congested. He was eating tonight and started to choke, such a tiny wee boy. It's such a shame this has happened to him. His appetite is poor and I had bought a tin of salmon to tempt him. He ate about two teaspoonfuls. His next injection is on Sunday x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
13-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #9

poor boy, at least he's trying to eat. hope he improves soon

Catsey Veteran

14-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #10

Last night i was quite concerned about Ben, wondered if we would need to get emergency vet out this morning (public hol here until Monday) however this morning, he appears a bit brighter.

Read on the internet last night that there are some cats who even though they are vaccinated, can still take Cat Flu. Like the common human flu, it is constantly evolving with different strains of it. Like my vet said, it can lie latent & come to the surface at times of stress ie re-homing, being put into a cattery etc