Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Tabby
21-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #1

My cat is having constant spasms and no one knows why!

My cat is having spasms constantly. His whole body seems to be affected. He is only 1! It's been a month now, and no one knows what is going on. He is still eating/drinking/using the litter box/playing, but every time he lies down, he is bothered by spasms! He is experiencing random bolts of energy accompanied with frustrated cries, and he purrs too often, which worries me that he is in a lot of pain. He has had blood work and x-rays, but nothing has shown up as abnormal.

He is currently on medication for Epilepsy, but it is not helping at all. I think in fact, he has become worse. The spasms started in his back legs, and now his whole body is involved. He walks stiff legged, as if he does not want to bend his back legs - he also sleeps with all four legs stretched away from his body.

When he is playing, he lies down every few minutes to rest, and he often pauses to stretch his hind legs. He is having a hard time using his back legs - they tend to slip out from beneath him when he's running, jumping, or climbing. His eyes are a bit watery, and he tends to close his left one quite often. He has a weird look in his eyes like he's confused or upset.

He may be throwing up/or having bowel issues - I have found spots on the floor and have been unable to determine if it's vomit or feces, (it may belong to one of my other cats. I am uncertain because I have not seen any of them throw up).

I am terrified that he is crying out in pain, and waiting for me to help him, and wondering why I'm not. I'm also horrified that he is slowly dying, and all I'm doing is watching him, because no one seems to be able to help him! I'm so worried and sick over this!

And just so you know, he is an indoor cat. Here is a video, showing the spasms that he has (awake or asleep).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr6fJ...eature=g-all-s

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
21-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #2

Re: My cat is having constant spasms and no one knows why!

didnt see him having any in that vid!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
21-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #3

Hello, welcome to catsey.
What's your cats name ?
I'm sorry to hear about the problems he's having, has he always been like this.
I too have watched the video and the twitching looks like he's dreaming to me.
I hope you get to the bottom of whats going on

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
21-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #4

hi, welcome to catsey. i've looked at your video and the other one also. i thought something to do with hind leg degeneration so i googled it, and came across this which sounded similar to your story:

Hereditary myotonia has been seen in a small number of cats. No particular breed appears to be over-represented and all affected cats in one report were related; an autosomal recessive mode of inheritance is suspected. It is a disease of the muscle that results in continued active contraction of a muscle after the cessation of voluntary effort and is characterised by muscle spasm and stiffness. Affected cats walk with a stiff awkward gait. The limbs are abducted (feet turned outwards) when walking because of poor flexion of proximal limb joints. There is widespread hypertrophy (increase in size) of muscle groups. The stiffness is worse on awakening and in cold weather, but improves with exercise. When affected kittens are startled, they may stiffen and fall into lateral recumbency (onto their side) with their legs extended. Spasm of the eyelids and facial muscles occur frequently when they are startled. Their jaws cannot be opened fully and there is sometimes difficulty eating. Diagnosis is made by performing an electromyogram (EMG) and/or taking a muscle biopsy.

and this is the website i found it http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/inhe...loskeletal.php

21-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Um, he was spasming the whole video...

21-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #6

He does it when he is awake too, so no, not a dream.

21-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #7

Wow thank you! I will definitely look into that! That sounds like a major possibility! Thank you lynz85!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
21-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #8

yes i think Lynz may be onto something there. If i were you i'd print out the article and take it to your vets.
What's your cats name ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
21-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #9

no bother, glad i could help at all!! let us know what your vet says!

21-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #10

His name is Lycan. I don't have a printer, but I'll copy the website down.