Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
30-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #31

Re: Very worried about Teddy

No, don't think you'd told us all that.
Isn't it silly how quickly you become protective of them, etc etc.
Have googled giardia. There appear to be plenty of effective treatments. It does pass to humans, so lots of hot soapy water and regular hand-washing in your house till Teddy is better!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
30-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #32

I have only just caught up with this thread. Reading it was like reliving life with my now 20 week old Siamese kitten Porsha. I got Porsha from the breeder in an appaulingly under weight state. She refused to eat and had terrible diarrhoea. She has been on the RC sensitive diet for many weeks now. Porsha has several other problems other than her diarrhoea but the stool sample I sent did indeed reveal giardia. Giardia can be very difficult to treat and she has now had several different treatments and still suffers with horrendous diarrhoea. Despite this, however, she has gained weight, has a healthy appetite and is starting to look more like a kitten of her age. Porsha is back at the vet tomorrow morning for another head scratch as to what to try next to try and settle her diarrhoea. I think we will be sending more stool samples and changing her antibiotics. Despite the diarrhoea and several other problems, Porsha is now a very happy, well grown kitten and a true naughty tortie There is light at the end of the tunnel but you really need to find out what you are dealing with and the stool sample is the only way forward here. Good luck and let us know what happens

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
30-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #33

Sorry to hear have been having such a rough time with Porsha as well Fran I have never heard of Giardia but it sounds a very weakening illness for both kittens.

I hope both you and Alex can find the necessary treatment to help both Porsha and Teddy.......good luck to both of you....

Catsey Veteran

30-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #34

And I hope it helps both of you to know you are 'not alone'. I always think it helps to speak to someone who has 'been there, done that'.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
30-10-2006, 10:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
And I hope it helps both of you to know you are 'not alone'. I always think it helps to speak to someone who has 'been there, done that'.
That's very true DM......

Catsey Veteran

30-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
How very true DM! I had never heard of Giardia before Porsha was diagnosed with it. I would be happy to share my experience with anyone who is interested. Porsha has been so very ill, the vet has warned me that somethimes it is impossible to erradicate it and that it is highly transmissible to other pets and humans too. All the other pets here had to have a three day course of Panacur to try and protect them, so it has had far reaching consequences. Apparantly, a lot of cats carry Giardia without it never presenting a problem for them....

Catsey Veteran

30-10-2006, 10:36 PM   #37

I'm sure it will help Alex.
I think she was almost at the stage of thinking she would have to lose Teddy
Best wishes to you and Porsha too Fran ..... such a shame; I know how much you had wanted her and the plans you had ........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
30-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #38

((((((hugs)))))) I really hope it all gets sorted for you soon x

Catsey Veteran

31-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #39

Fran and Alex.
I've managed to get in touch with my elusive daughter whose gorgeous red oriental was on the verge of being pts because of constant chronic diarrhoea. In fact it was so constant you would rather call it faecal incontinence - he just leaked all the time. As you can imagine that was very distressing for all concerned.
So, here's the story. There was never a real diagnosis, despite tests and even a biposy. Probable cause is just 'diarrhoea' that never cleared and the gut therefore never settled, giving worse diarrhoea etc etc.
This is the product that sorted it - almost immediately and almost as if by magic. There's not a lot of 'drug' in it; it's more of a 'solidifying agent' but making the poos more solid just helps everything clear up. The virtuous circle insted of the vicious one.
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...6875bd85f04dcc
Puss is fine now

Good luck both

Catsey Veteran

31-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #40

Thank you for the link DM. The granules look interesting and I will certainly give them a try if the medication I got today for her doesn't work. I have emailed you