Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #11

Re: Saturday weekend daily

Emma in one respect I agree with you about hurting animals and I have always been sort of not fussed by Rats (although never had a problem at anyhome I have owned/lived in) well that I know of. However I am afraid if they invaded my garden because of the fact they
Rats carry disease,
Weil’s disease
Salmonella
Tuberculosis
Cryptosporidiosis
E.Coli
Foot and mouth disease

I know a friend of mine her husband caught Weils he is a fisherman and the Doctors think he caught it there. He was quite ill. And I went with a lady to rescue some kittens year before last the Mother had had kittens in the shed of an empty house and the first the neighbours knew was when one lady saw a rat carrying a "baby rat" she shouted (in panic fear) the rat dropped the baby the woman walked over with her daughter to see and it was a baby kitten (eyes still closed) no worse I know than a cat catching a baby bird but. Just the risk of disease they carry puts me off. Bit like town foxes.....they come obviously because we are so "uncaring" and drop litter fast food everything and into the towns we come close.
Watching the TV the other day there are apparently in England one rat for each person. And they are growing in number faster than us. But as far as I am concerned if they leave me alone I will leave them alone.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
12-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #12

But my point is that we live in a village we cannot kill all of the rats, there must be thousands .......we have fields all around our village....kill some they will just be replaced by others...

Catsey Veteran

12-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #13

Kazz humans carry more diesese than rats....sorry but I hate it when people use that argument......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
12-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #14

Morning, all.
Going to the cat show today Excited! It just started less than an hour ago (9am) and will run untill 5pm so K and I have decided to leave the house around noon
It's overcast but not too bad. Mild for us.
Emma, I see your point. I think it'd be one thing if they were in your house destroying things but if they are outside then who really cares if they dig a hole under the fence? Surely can't kill every animal going about its way, I'd liken that to killing a bird for sitting on a tree in your yard-unnecessary.
Hope everyone has a good day.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #15

Tink,
hope you have a nice time at the cat show and matbe get some pics ?
Emma sorry you are so upset, i can understand.
There was a rat in our garden last week, we have a brook at the back of the house and some rough ground. It was feeding on bird seed that had dropped from a feeder hanging in the rose bush.
I'm not keen on it coming in as i worry about Malaika sniffing around and catching weils disease. I have decided not to refill that particular feeder and will get Howard to block were i think it came through.
Eileen take it easy untill you are feeling better. Hopefuly the inhaler and better weather will help you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Kazz humans carry more diesese than rats....sorry but I hate it when people use that argument......
I agree and as with rats as long as people leave me alone I will leave them alone.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
12-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #17

evening all! thats work finished for the week
had 2 days off wed/thurs due to a sickness bug, feeling better now! not got anything planned for the weekend well i count sun/mon my weekend lol! re the rat topic- even though i keep pet ones, the wild ones are a different species but i wouldnt want them killed either. i wouldnt want them in my house but if they were in the garden and not being a pest i wouldnt mind. rats are timid, so would run away if you encountered them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #18

Emma, you have a point about new ones replacing any dead ones: the cliche about nature abhorring a vacuum, When my neighbor had squirrels trapped and relocated there was a new family there within a fortnight. So I guess just live with the situation, hope they don't bother the cats or get in the house!

Catsey Veteran

12-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #19

We have lived here for 13 years and have had no problems with them in the house but the cats would see them off. Arthur once brought one in (he had killed it). I think the cats seem to keep them at bay. If they were destroying the house then that would be a different matter, but killing animals just because they are digging a few holes under the fence is just idiotic, if the wanted to they could easily run over the fence.

Well we are now not talking to each other and quite frankly I really couldn't care if we never did again..... I know that sounds really mean but we knows how strongly I feel on the subject, but he still made the comment about buying the traps