Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #1

Valerian and cats

I was intrigued by MadCatLady's comments on valerian, and wanted more info....here's an interesting link, IMO. And yes, have ordered some valerian infused yarn balls for the Princess, who doesn't react to catnip.

http://www.catniptoys.com/valerian_faq.htm

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
31-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #2

Re: Valerian and cats

HaHa!!!
Be prepared she may go mental!!!!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
01-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #3

I must have missed the original post but I had some valerian tea bags a few years ago and left the mug brewing on the side (it was foul by the way lol) and then I heard a crash and the mug was on the floor, valerian tea everywhere and Max looking very guilty on the work surface. Never thought anything of it til the next nyt and I again left a mug brewing, turned round to find Max rubbing up in exctasy against the mug (hence it having fallen the nyt before) and then I wafted a tea bag in front of all my four cats - they all went mental,rubbing up, delirious even. The empty box was put on the floor and at least two cats at a time were rubbing themselves all over the floor smelling the box! Never did buy any more tea bags, but catnip does nothing for them, let me know how you get on with your toys! Jx

Catsey Veteran

01-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #4

That's very interesting, Jan, thanks for posting. I'm really curious to see how Leia will react; will definitely post!

Here's the link to MCL's post:

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=11944&page=7

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #5

That's very interesting Eileen - and thanks for posting the original link as I had missed that too.

Look forward to hearing what Leia thinks about Valerian.

Catsey Veteran

01-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #6

Angie, have you plucked any catnip from the hanging basket yet for Kizzy?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
02-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I was intrigued by MadCatLady's comments on valerian, and wanted more info....here's an interesting link, IMO. And yes, have ordered some valerian infused yarn balls for the Princess, who doesn't react to catnip.

http://www.catniptoys.com/valerian_faq.htm

this is an interesting link..... what i find amazing is the analogy between the smell of valerian as percieved by humans... "it smells a bit like smelly socks"

George isn't the slightest bit interested in catnip.... but give him some smelly shoes... and he'goes off the planet!!

no one in our family suffers with smelly feet but that doesn't stop george rubbing his face against our bare feet when ever he has the chance...more so after our feet have been in shoes... but then again i suppose their sense of smell is so much more acute than ours is...i will have to see what i can find out about valerian here.. but i have to say that ive not seen it anything purporting to be a substitute for catnip... and i have looked due to George and Tinky not taking an interest..i haven't tried Harri as ive read that kittens often dont react anyway

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
02-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #8

I'd vever heard of valerian having a 'catnip effect' on cats either.
I'm not sure what kind of valerian it is - not the one which I have growing in my hanging basket anyway. That is a trailing plant, which grey-green vaguely nettle like small leaves and which comes in various colours and white.

Scullcap and valerian tablets proved quite calming for Ches a while back, after his first brief fright/disappearance.

Catsey Veteran

02-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #9

DM, I too wondered if the garden valerian was different from the medicinal one; did a search and it seems they are one and the same. I found this link interesting...

http://www.gardensablaze.com/HerbValerian.htm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
02-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #10

I got a valerian cat toy for Imogen at the cat show last year, it really does smell bad! She was fairly interested in it but nowhere near as much as she loves her catnip mice.