Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #1

Do you buy magazines?

As a National Trust member, I get their quarterly magazine and also the RHS monthly magazine. Sometimes if I am in Sainsbury's I buy their magazine because I think it is excellent value. When I was in the vet earlier this week, I was looking at Your Cat - there seemed to be some good articles in there.

Just wondering - do any of you regularly buy or subscribe to any magazines?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
07-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #2

Re: Do you buy magazines?

I am very much a browse and decide magazine buyer.

I often buy Gardening mags, just whatever seems to have an article I'm interested in. Others I buy now and again would be nature/wildlife, Horse and Hound/Scottish Field. That sort of thing. I rarely buy things like ok, hello, now, closer gossipy type reads - they are all the same and can be read in about 20 minutes.

I subscribe to Which, British Horse Society and quite a few farming/sheep publications.

I get 2nd hand National Geographic which I'd probably subscribe to if I didn't get this from my sister.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #3

I used to really like magazines when I was young but, other than the odd gardening magazine, or very occasionally the county magazine, I can't be bothered now. Even those which I enjoyed as a mature person (Good Housekeeping etc) now all seem very samey. I think it may be a by-product or gaining years .. nothing seems terribly new or different any more; in fact most things appear very samey (Just like television; I think the last time anything on TV blew me away it was the quirky Life on Mars. I watched the David Attenborough prog with the bears waiting in the river to catch the returning Pacific salmon a couple of weeks ago. It was fabulous in HD but the subject matter I must have seen in B&W decades ago. Ho hum.)
And as for the magazines they sometimes offer me in the hairdressers .....! Aaargh! But I think they know I prefer House & Garden or Good Housekeeping to Hello and OK now

*Shuffles off, chewing on her dentures and treading down the heel of her pom-pom slippers*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #4

I do agree with you about TV, DM. Loved Life on Mars!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: All types
mattde is Male
07-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #5

I subscribe to national geographic magazine, very good read, and excellent photos.
I also buy practical photography most months, and get a quarterly magazine from the BCU about kayaking and canoeing.