Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
04-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #1

Virtual Scrapbooking?

For a few years now I have been doing scrap booking as a hobby. I now display all my photographs that way and also use it to organise all my mementos from days out, holidays etc. I find it a great way to display all my cats pics.

I wondered if other people would like to start doing a scrapbook page or pages? Often people say they don't know how to get started.

We could have a virtual scrapbooking club.

Thought the way it would work is –
• Post the theme of your page e.g., cat in the garden or last weekend away etc.
• Decide the size of the page
• Post pictures of stage by stage build up of the page
• Discuss what decorations to use etc.
• Then finish up with a post of all the final pages.

You never know it could be the start of an addictive new hobby. Even if you only ever do one page, it could always be framed if you really like the result!

So, is anyone interested?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #2

Re: Virtual Scrapbooking?

I would love to start scrapbooking Calismum I already make my own cards and cross stitch so I figure that's the next step lol. Only prob is I have no idea how to start it. But count me in if you can give me some pointers.

Catsey Veteran

04-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #3

Great - we'll give this post a bit to se how many are interested but I'm happy to suggest ideas etc.

I'd love to try card making. Already do x stitch and tapestry.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #4

Well done CM! Yes, I'm interested. I've got so many possible themes, but I'd like to start with a Ramblers holiday I went on in 2001 to Sicily. It was the first holiday I went on with a friend whom I had met at work. She was the ideal holiday companion for me as we had enough interests in common and different things to keep our companionship fresh. Very sadly, she died 3 years ago in September. I'd like to start a memory book with all the photos and souvenirs etc. that I collected on that holiday.

I've never done anything like a modern scrapbook before, although I did wonder about doing an online one - so need lots of suggestions about how to decorate pages etc.

Catsey Veteran

07-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #5

Well, we have a small group of three. Anyone else feel like joining in?

Catsey Veteran

07-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #6

I do hope others may want to join along the way CM!

Can you give some idea of what a beginner would need in the way of materials to start a scrapbook/memory book?

Here's what I imagine would be essential
A book/folder - do they come with the plastic/vinyl pages already in?
Paper
Glue
Pen
(should the above be acid free?)

What would you advise in order to start making page displays attractive?

Catsey Veteran

07-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #7

Can you give some idea of what a beginner would need in the way of materials to start a scrapbook/memory book?

Ok, here goes. Firstly – make your first page quite simple, make sure you are going to enjoy scrapbooking and have a look online or round craft shop/WH Smith to see what is to your taste. Simple or complex, plain or fussy.

For example, a friend and I have a scrapbook night now and then. She likes bright vibrant colours with strong contrasts. She is a lovely writer and makes a lot of her own labels and page titles. I much prefer pastel and matching shades. My writing is not as nice so I tend to use labels and rub on letters. She is quite fussy with her accessories, I am quite plain. So make a few pages to get comfy with your style before you commit something special to a page.

A book/folder - do they come with the plastic/vinyl pages already in?
- I would probably not go to this expense straight off. As long as you have somewhere flat to store your page while it is in progress then I’d wait to see if you think you’ll enjoy scrapbooking. If you don’t then you won’t have wasted £20+.

Paper
- Essential! Depending on what you are doing you will need anywhere between 1 and 4 papers for a page. Some bits you will reuse on other pages.
- If you like a layered look then you will build up sections of colour.
- Plain coloured papers to make mats for your photos.

Glue
- I use double sided sticky tape and glue dots. I also use very sticky glue to stick wood, metal, shells, slices of cork, dried leaves, flowers, petals, ribbons, beads, etc.
- I also use foam pads to make some things stand out more than others.

Pen
- You will need a pencil for marking sizes and ruler to draw straight lines.
- Pen – depending on what you are using it for – I have some gel pens so I can write with a colour to match my page.

(Should the above be acid free?)
- If you want to do it properly and make sure your pages last for ever then yes. I have to admit I’m not that fussy about that and tend to use things I like. I also like to see my memories when I look at a page.
- If you make a page of say a day out somewhere as well as photographs you may want to put the following sort of things on a page. Bits of the brochure, tickets, site map, wrist bands, small memento from souvenir shop, dried flowers, leafs etc. – none of these are acid free and you would need to make sure all these ‘memories’ were put in an acid free envelope.

What would you advise in order to start making page displays attractive?
- This is where personal taste comes into it and depends on the theme of the page. To discuss in part two!!

Why don't you decide what the theme of the first page is and then we could discuss what might look nice on you choice of theme?

Catsey Veteran

07-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #8

Excellent start CM - I am going to think about my first page now!

Oh, just a wee point - what about page size???

Catsey Veteran

07-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Excellent start CM - I am going to think about my first page now!

Oh, just a wee point - what about page size???
Forgot that might be an essential thing to know

I use 12"x12" as I think you can get the best variety of papers and I think a decent layout.

But you can opt to use A4 or 8" x 8".

Up to you but I have never seen plastic pouches or binders for A4 and the 8 x 8 is very limited.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
07-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #10

Could you possibly show us some of your work CM, to give us an idea of what we should be doing