Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
28-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #11

Re: Indoor or outdoor??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvest&tweety
Hi alexgirl!!
Poor you, should have travelled another 10 miles or so to get to Thurso!!

Anne
lol, my friend who I was staying with did say their is a bit of a rivalry between Thurso and Wick. Are there a lot of Galbraiths up that way? (my dads surname)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
lol, my friend who I was staying with did say their is a bit of a rivalry between Thurso and Wick. Are there a lot of Galbraiths up that way? (my dads surname)
No, the Galbraiths but 'n' bens were all burnt to the ground coz the wouldnt keep their hands off other folks potatoe scones

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
28-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #13

shut yer face your fishwife you!!!! (sorry Anne, she keeps sticking her nose in where she shouldn't lol)

and anyway, it's tattie scones, not potato scones numpty!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #14

Your gonna cut yourself with that sharp tongue Alex
Ok butting out now before the weedgie get really mad

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
28-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #15

Hi sylvest&tweety! Stay strong and don't give in to him! If you're happier with him indoors at night (and I know that's how I prefer it with my cats) then that's the way it's got to be. How long ago was he castrated? If it wasn't very long ago then those male hormones might still be urging him to go out and explore until they're all out of his system. Maybe in another week or so he'll be calmer - just a thought!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 5 magical moggies
06-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #16

Luckily for us our cats are all house cats. In the summer they may venture into the garden but always run back in. Jefferson is the only one who has made it over the fence into the neighbours garden

I think our decision to have them as house cats came about through hearing stories my friend the veterinary nurse told me about cats who out all day or all night. One of her cats got knocked down at night and she has never forgiven herself and now keeps him in at night.

I just feel happier knowing where they are, safe and well and of course warm They are on to too much of a good thing to want to start going outdoors

Cats owned: stray cats (3)
07-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #17

hey,

I wouldn't advise you to let your cat go out side at all because it's dangerous. There are a lot of accidents and it's not safe for them.

I think you need to teach your cat that his place is inside the house and eventually he will learn.

Sometimes one of our cats wants to sneak out side when we open the door but we don't let them.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
12-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #18

My two Rosie and Alfie have free access to the outdoors day and night. They can't get near the road and I suppose there are other dangers at night although can't think of any offhand. In winter they tend to stay in but in summer they love being out at night and I wouldn't deprive them of their natural instinct. Depends of where you live I suppose.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #19

This is a problem that I haven't had to deal with for ages. Merlin sometimes pops out into the back garden if I'm out there and has a little potter about. He has no inclination to go out at night. When he was a younger cat, both he and Smudge (GBNF) could come and go as they pleased. Smudge in particular was an outdoor gal. We live in a semi rural area and tbh I always accepted that cats did go out - that was part of their independent charm, but of course I worried about them if they didn't come in for their meals. Smudge always came when I called her in if she was within hearing distance.

If ever I have another cat or young kits in the future I don't know what I will decide about the indoor/outdoor question. It's certainly a tricky question.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggy Toms and a Princess
18-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #20

Since Max and Oli had the snip and I got round to putting a Cat Flap in the back door they are allowed ouside in the day but I lock the catflap at night.

I am probably a bit mad but I hope that the notice that when we put their collars on in the morning it is a signal that it is ok to go out and when the come off at night it is house time ( um yes that does sound a bit flakey )

Even with the cat flap Max will sit by the french doors waiting for you to open them - if opened he runs round and back in via the cat flap to sit by the door again (perhaps I'm not the only flaky one around here ) - Oli loves it outside and he charms the neighbours (I hear the lady who's garden backs on to ours talking to him to be careful on the fence he is such a tart)

I think out in the day and in at night is right for cats in the suburbs like mine (risk of traffic and youths !!!!)