Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #11

Re: Mom v Mum

"Nana" has a literary connotation though - the old English sheepdog in Peter Pan was called Nana!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
25-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #12

My Mom is called Mom I think the way we say it sounds like Mum but it is a Brummie thing I think and I hate the fact I cannot get a Mother day card (especially) that says Mom rather than Mum in fact I buy one that says Mother rather than one that says Mum......heard quite a few people saying the same thing there is an opening there for someone "looking for a buisnesss gap" cards in B'ham that say MOM. )

My Mom is also called Nan/Nanny. She did not want to be Gran or Grandma. Called both my Nan's; Nan never confused them though.

Dad is Dad plain and simply Dad and Grandad to the gandchildren. My Grandad was Grandad......

Although my brother referers to Mom and Dad as "My Old Man or My Old Lady" or "The old lady" when amongst his friends or family (like cousins) not in any way disrespectful. My Dad and all his brothers and sisters called my Nan "The Old Lady"

I never write Mum............ .............ever.

Catsey Veteran

25-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #13

I think Nana comes from the time of having Nannies.....a n child carers, as apposed to grandparents...so maybe Nan, Nanny is a class thing? Could be right.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
25-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #14

My mother was never "Mum", she was "Mam" a north country thing (mainly manual/working class) My grandparents were all Grandma and Grandad, occasionally adding their surname eg "Grandma Parker" when talking about them, to avoid confusion. Our family didn't like "Nana" at all and none of my many cousins ever used it.

My children knew neither of their grandfathers as they had both passed on before they were born, and addressed their grandmothers as Grandma + their first name, eg. "Grandma Jenny"

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
25-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #15

I have been Nana, Nanny and now Nan to Katie and Jamie .... and hubby is Grandpa..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
25-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #16

What about 'Mam' then? or 'Me Ma'

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
25-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #17

[quote=Kazz;475120]My Mom is called Mom I think the way we say it sounds like Mum but it is a Brummie thing I think and I hate the fact I cannot get a Mother day card (especially) that says Mom rather than Mum in fact I buy one that says Mother rather than one that says Mum......heard quite a few people saying the same thing there is an opening there for someone "looking for a buisnesss gap" cards in B'ham that say MOM. )

My Mom is also called Nan/Nanny. She did not want to be Gran or Grandma. Called both my Nan's; Nan never confused them though.

Dad is Dad plain and simply Dad and Grandad to the gandchildren. My Grandad was Grandad......

I never write Mum............ .............ever.[/quote]

SNAP! agree totally 100% with everything Kazz said.

My Mom is Mom, I have never called her MUM & I wouldn't ever write it or get a card with Mum on.

My Dad is Dad.

My Nan was Nan.

My Grandad was Grandad.

My kids call me Mom or Mommy. They call their Dad, Dad or Daddy, they call their Nans - Nan & their Grandads are Grandad.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #18

What a good thread this is! Remember I said that Ma and Pa are sort of countrified here: well, it occurs to me that we do use Grandma and Grandpa ..... odd, isn't it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
25-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #19

I call my Mum, Mum. When I was small, I called her Mama (Polish). My Dad was always Daddy - even when I was grown. My brother ALWAYS called him 'the old man'. It wasn't a term of endearment either; they had a difficult relationship. I think he called Mum, Mum for a while but for ages now it's been 'the old girl/lady'. I kind of find that a bit disrespectful - but then I think it's meant a bit like that

My Grandmother (I only knew one; all other 3 - grandmother + 2 grandfathers - perished in WWII), was Babcia - again, Polish.

How strange that the West Midlands thing is Mom. I never picked up on that, even though I had several good friends/boyfriend that were local to Stourbridge/Dudley.

Thanks so much for answering that Karen/Kelly, it was something that's been going around in my head for a while now

Catsey Veteran

25-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #20

I think Yola you never pocked up on it because when you hear it Mom and Mum are identical in the one way they are said its when they are written you see the difference... would never write Mum on a card either. Totaly agree with Kelly.
My brother says it with affecion "old man" etc my brother in law sais it of his Dad too and so did Dave of his Dad.

Yola I imagine said with lack of respect they though would not survive long any of them......