Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
30-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #1

Life's little luxuries

Looks like there might have to be a bit of belt-tightening, what with the financial woes of the world.

So, what do you advise as an inexpensive way to give yourself the feel-good factor? Does choccy do it for you? Or a relaxing bath soak? A manicure? A free walk in the fresh air?

Share your tips and maybe we can all get a bit of a boost

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
30-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #2

Re: Life's little luxuries

Sadly, since I got my job a year ago, I've become more used to having money to spend on clothes, jewellry, nice cosmetics etc. Whereas just over a year ago I was a student on a strict budget, and buying a new pair of a jeans was a bi-yearly special occasion!

So thinking back to my student days, it was a rare treat when I bought myself some lovely beauty pampering treats and had a night in with hot bath. I love Boots' Sanctuary things; especially their salt scrub in the jar. Although I have now discovered Soup & Glory's peach salt scrub; it smells divine and the smell sticks to your skin! Then I'd round it up with a Lush body cream and a self-done pedicure, and painted toe nails. Scholl's purple-handled foot file is brilliant.

And if we're talking chocolate, Lindt is the ultimate indulgence

Also, I hate to lower the tone, but a little you-know-what *wink wink, knudge knudge* is a great way to boost the mood, and the one thing I love to indulge in is a nice piece of lingerie to make myself feel sexy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #3

For me it has to be getting my hair done. Usually about every 8/10 weeks. It's pretty much a whole day affair as I have 3 different colours woven into my hair AND a cut/trim.

It's quite pricey as, having fine hair I need someone who will take really good care of it. However, the beauty of it is that (a) I come out looking better than when I went in, but importantly (b) I have a day to myself to flick through daft magazines without being a Mrs. or a Mummy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
Scholl's purple-handled foot file is brilliant.
I have that one. Isn't it brilliant?? Love the 'bit of what you fancy' theory also LOL!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

30-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #5

It really is fantastic! I hate having to hold a big block of the stuff, it feels horrible and doesn't do a great job IMO. But the purple foot file, with it's two sides, leaves my feet super soft!

Also, getting your hair done is a GREAT luxury I have fine hair but also very curly, and it's taken me until I was 22 to find a hair dresser who can cut my hair well! Before I used to get it cut all the same length to play it safe, but I finally found a curly-haired hair dresser who does it beautifully; as well as the colour (I get two shades of blonde put through my mousey brown locks). The downside is the price tag, which I couldn't have afforded more than twice a year as a student but can now stretch to once every 3 months. I just love hair freshly coloured and cut; too bad the new 'look' only lasts about a week before it goes back to being unruly!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #6

I love hot chocolate made with Green and Black's organic cocoa and a smidgin of sugar does it for me on cooler nights!

Almost a Veteran Member

30-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #7

Oh Green and Blacks is delicious! My ex-flatmate had their cookbook, so many wonderful recipes Especially the Maya Gold Ginger Cake, mmm.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #8

Food and drink are my indulgences..I won't cut down on things like gourmet cheese, hard to find tea, and wine; will pinch pennies other ways like stop ordering too much stuff I really don't need online, especially earrings! And wait for the latest book at the library instead of getting it from Amazon. And I have lots of inexpensive recipes from my poor days early in my mortgage...you can do marvelous things with rice and beans!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
30-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #9

Nice meal, good murder, mystery on TV or DVD, nice bottle of wine, few candles, that's my sort of evening. Like your theory too Meep!! Will have to look out for the purple handled foot file too. Thanks for tip.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
30-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #10

A purple foot-file - the answer to life's ills

I'll look out for it - use a boring white one now