Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-11-2006, 04:33 PM   #1

Slow Cooker

I'm getting fed up of doing the same old thing in the slow cooker so was wondering if anyone had any ideas or recipes for slow cookers that they would like to share?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #2

Re: Slow Cooker

I suppose you can use any 'casserole' recipes Mags, as long as you bring things up to temperature initially and extend the coking time once everything is in the pot together?

This is a lovely recipe but it's a 'straight' one. You'll need to adjust for your slow cooker

Lamb tagine with chick peas, apricots and cous cous

INGREDIENTS:

600g stewing lamb (shoulder or neck) cut into 2.5cm chunks
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp turmeric
freshly ground black pepper
227g can of chopped tomatoes
300ml lamb stock
salt
400g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
75g dried apricots, roughly chopped
250g pre-cooked couscous
400ml hot vegetable stock (or 1 heaped tsp Marigold vegetable bouillon with 400ml boiling water)
small handful (about 15g) freshly chopped coriander

PREPARATION:

1. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole and brown the lamb in batches, removing to the side when done.

2. Fry the onion until soft (about 5 minutes) then add the garlic, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric and black pepper and fry another minute or so.

3. Add the tomatoes and stock, bring to the boil, and then return the lamb to the casserole. Season with salt, cover and simmer for 1 hour.

4. After an hour, add the chickpeas and apricots and continue to simmer gently for another hour until the meat is tender. Add a little water if the liquid has reduced – you want plenty of rich sauce. 5. Before serving, pour the hot stock over the couscous and leave to absorb. Fluff up with a fork, season with salt and pepper and stir through the chopped coriander. Serve with the stew spooned over the couscous.

PREP/COOK
INFORMATION:

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Serves: 4

I would think lamb shanks would also do beautifully in a slow cooker?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #3

Re: Slow Cooker

Mmmmm... that sounds quite mouthwatering DM, I've saved that to my recipes for a "must try" Thanks a lot!