Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
15-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #1

Frosty Friday

Hello friends!

Starting off the thread today, sorry I haven't been on much lately. Since my return from Exmouth it's been all go. Ceri has had a nasty cold with bad cold sores on his upper lip, and general malaise. I've been busy with housework and also a nice visit to the theatre yesterday, more later. Also, we have been hosts to my Brother in law from the States. He is home because his mum is terminally ill and it's just a short stay but I feel it may be his last to see his mum alive, very sad.

Very dull and grey but when I first got up at 5am it was frosty on the car. Time to get my plants under cover now.

The play I saw yesterday was an adaptation of Flora Thompson's book, Larkrise to Candleford; the one the TV prog. was based upon. Very nice too, quite charming. Was nice to treat my mum, and made me feel even more for my BIL.

See you later,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #2

Re: Frosty Friday

Morning.

Oh Dear Ceri sounds a bit under the weather, is it due to the stroke or has he always been susceptible to colds etc. But WHY OH WHY were you up at 5am.....for Lords sake Woman get a grip.

Weather here a bit overcast still but washing on the line. And another lot in the machine. Popping out to get a few odds and ends then hiberating in the house/garden. for the next 4 days.

Mom and Dad gone away this morning till Monday to the South Coast. Hope they get better weather. Sal is fast asleep on the landing I was changing over her bed and she has laid claim to the one on the landing sheis in for a shock though as its coming downstairs while her others go in the next wash.

Anyhow hope all are good and if not good the still breathing......

Off out now speak later.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #3

*Waves hand vigorously in the air to prove I'm still breathing*

I have been on a trawl to 2 garden centres this morning to find a couple of new pots for bulbs and found a couple of nice fibre clay ones on offer, so now of course I need to go and get some more compost - but need to do that with a strong man, ie OH. He's off for a golf lesson this pm, so the compost may have to wait a day or two. Still early to plant tulips, so no panic.

MIL has had another deterioration over the past week. We presume her anti-psychotics are no longer working as she is more anxious and restless than she had been - either that or she's had another small vascular episode. Even the carers noticed the downturn this week. She won't have a shower now, although she previously loved having one. We think she is scared, even though the shower is meant to be safe for those with mobility problems. We need to get her back to the doctor to be referred for an O.T. assessment (which she's never had). I used to work for an O.T. a long while ago and know their waiting lists were long then, heaven knows how long they are now. We have taken our own initiative re RTS, grab rails, walker and wheelchair.

Anyhow, a very gloomy day here - such a change from yesterday. It's quite cold too but not raining YET.

Sorry to hear that Ceri is under the weather PP. Hope he picks up soon. Very sad about your BIL's mum.

Kazz - hope Sal doesn't get bundled up and put in the washing machine with her bedding ......

Enjoy your day everyone.

Catsey Veteran

15-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh

Kazz - hope Sal doesn't get bundled up and put in the washing machine with her bedding ......

Now you remind me............................

Catsey Veteran

15-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #5

Angie,

Maybe it is time to get your MIL assesed as you say, sounds like things are going slightly pear shaped. Can they tell if she has had a vascular episode? and is there another "type/brand" of anti-psychotics. But how scary being frightened of the shower........... ;(

Regarding the compost you just need to find a lad at the garden centre to put it on a trolley then into the car; and get OH to get it out when you get home. Problem solved.

The pots sound good what colour did you get? I have fibre clay ones and they are great I think. Don't crack and look the part without weighing a tonne.

Anyhow I am home now and slightly bored, I had no idea how much of my time was taken up with my Mom and Dad......

Catsey Veteran

15-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #6

Good idea about the "lad" Kazz - there never seem to be any around when I need one!!! Very helpful young ladies at the centre I bought the pots but their layout (uphill car park) makes getting stuff to car a nightmare unless one is quite strong. My pots are fibre clay too! I'm very happy with them - they are sort of mottled black and they were on offer too. Not going to post the price here in case OH reads this post!!!!!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #7

Hi, all, I'm breathing from chilly Washington! Lots of sun, brisk wind and still only 14 C (546 F). We got needed rain all day yesterday, drouth worries mostly over now. To the market to get goodies, having home made soup for dinner ... always nice on a nippy day.

Angie, sorry MIL is deteriorating Kazz had a good solution to the compost situation!. PP, hope Ceri is feeling better soon.

Enjoy the day!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #8

Posts crossed, Angie, sorry the compost idea wasn't practical.

Catsey Veteran

15-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Angie,

Maybe it is time to get your MIL assesed as you say, sounds like things are going slightly pear shaped. Can they tell if she has had a vascular episode? and is there another "type/brand" of anti-psychotics. But how scary being frightened of the shower........... ;(
The whole question of anti-psys are a minefield, quite apart from none being licensed for use in the elderly. MIL used to go to see a psycho-geriatrician who explained the knife edge between gaining some relief from the anxiety symptoms and causing further vascular accidents in the brain. I think this is made more difficult because MIL is a type 2 diabetic even though she has never had to rely on insulin but diabetes is thought to increase the likelihood of dementia.

We are probably due another visit from the CPN, but whether getting MIL back to the geriatrician would be helpful or not is doubtful to my mind.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
15-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #10

Evening everyone, busy day for me, work this morning, than a Malaika walk, we then had a little snooze whilst watching tv. Spoke to Malaika's breeder today and she's still not managed to find a home for Malaika's sister. It unsettles me everytime i hear that as i wonder if things would have worked out if we'd taken her.
Managed to groom all the horrid matts out of neighbours cat and she looks much better.
Off out tonight to the local bowling club, it's been refurbished and it's the official re opening. We don't go to it but a friend was invited to take guests and there's a free buffett
Sorry to hear about your BIL's mum PP and sorry to hear about your MIL, Angie.
I bet the play of Larkrise was lovely.
Kazz hope you find something to amuse yourself, i'm sure you will
Snap Eileen, we have had homemade soup for tea.
Wonder if Tink is in those Pumpkin fields ?