Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
06-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Clumping Litter Hazards..

After getting tired of the place being covered in the dust from clumping litter, (I refuse to get a tray with a hood and subject my cats to confinement with a litter that creates this much dust!). After finding out that clumping litter is a possible carcinogen and could cause silicosis (sorry for the mis-spell), I'm changing to wood pellets; the environment (and the bin men) will thank me for it.

The link below is written from experience and also leads to a link that has letters from cat (and dog) owners futher personal (and shocking) experiences with clumping litter.

http://www.felinesandfriends.org/content/clumping.htm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
07-11-2011, 02:11 AM   #2

Re: Clumping Litter Hazards..

To certain extent I agree. In the early days I tried many litters - clumpers included, none of which did what they claimed. I had given up & was using a shop brand non clumper. one of ours is a fastidious little lady and unless her litter is spotless,she won't use it. By that I mean fresh clear out every day. Even with the shop own brand it was still quite pricey.

I happened to be in Jollyes one day and they had a promotion on for one type of litter. Initially it's expensive and I thought long and hard especially as it's a clumper, however bought a bag & never looked back - minimal dust and it really does last a month plus so long as it's cleaned out twice a day our fastidious lady is more than happy to use it. It's a derivative of wood products - much softer on the paws - "Cats Best" - can't recommend it highly enough

You can flush it down the loo - I flushed a poo ball once and spent a week worrying if it would block the system so now i don't do that

Catsey Veteran

07-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #3

As for covered litter trays - you don't know what you are missing, they are the best invention ever. Only time I use an ordinary tray is like now with Mindy in an Eliza collar, put extra open tray out just for her - of course the others can use it I'd they want - however they prefer the Privacy of their covered trays, even little Mindy tries to get into the covered trays , which is sad as she can't manage it at present

Catsey Senior

07-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #4

Fortunately my 2 aren't litter throwers. Mitzi just plonks herself in postion and goes, has a sniff and walks off, only making a mild attempt to dig a hole for 'number twos'. Chesi has been known to dig for Australia now and then but only if the tray isn't fastidiously clean before he goes. I take each 'visit' out as they go, and they have 2 trays. That and c/w the fact that Mitzi only uses a tray when she is housebound with a collar on doesn't warrant me investing in one with a hood at present.

Dear Mindy! She's probably wondering how come her 'whiskers' won't fit in the litter tray entrance, bless.

This is my most recent purchase, and seems a reasonable price for the litter type that you mentioned Velvet.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...518&pf_id=3805

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
07-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #5

See... I'd love to start Cloud on 'Cats Best' or similar (seems there are 2-3 of them) but she refuses to use litter of those 'little balls' think she finds them uncomfortable or something. She's tried it once or twice when there has been no other option, but she'll choose pretty well anything over it, unfortunately

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
07-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
I happened to be in Jollyes one day and they had a promotion on for one type of litter. Initially it's expensive and I thought long and hard especially as it's a clumper, however bought a bag & never looked back - minimal dust and it really does last a month plus so long as it's cleaned out twice a day our fastidious lady is more than happy to use it. It's a derivative of wood products - much softer on the paws - "Cats Best" - can't recommend it highly enough

You can flush it down the loo - I flushed a poo ball once and spent a week worrying if it would block the system so now i don't do that
I use this...it's fantastic!!!
I get it from 'Zooplus', as it's the cheapest i've found!

Catsey Veteran

07-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #7

I'm a bit limited as only buy smaller bags, can't manage the bigger bags which are probably cheaper. Must have look at Zooplus especially as they deliver.

The bag puss is very reasonable

Squirrel - Cats Best is unique as the pooh & wee balls are softish - some of the clumpers go hard like lead so know what you mean

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
07-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #8

Not sure if it was cats best, or worlds best as they both looked the same, but Cloud refused to use it.

Catsey Senior

07-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #9

Looks like the Cat's Best is little more @ 40L £24.99..?

I'm happy with my Pampuss wood based from Petplanet, 90L @ £29.99 it's good val' for money. Although it doesn't clump I like it; it smells good, not overpowering but fresh and 'clean', and I find it reasonable with odour control and great at soaking up. You can compost it too, or put it in the wood burner, it just breaks up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #10

My two have been going au naturel over the Summer, but prior to that they (well mainly Pip) used Cats' Best. I like it because it's totally biodegradable, flushable, compostable and really no trouble to use. I still have a bag which I am saving in case the weather gets too bad for them to go out - poor loves.