Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
26-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #1

Cat Insurance.

Missy is insured, I have just been informed her premiums are to rise to almost double. I'm thinking of changing insurers. Can anyone advise me on cat insurance please.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
26-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #2

Re: Cat Insurance.

Which insurance company are you with at the moment and what type of policy do you have?
Does Missy have any ongoing conditions?

Catsey Junior

26-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
Which insurance company are you with at the moment and what type of policy do you have?
Does Missy have any ongoing conditions?
I'm with Sainsbury's , Option 2. The cover per condition is £7500, I pay £50 excess as long as she is less than 9 years old. She was 8 in July.
Missy has no ongoing conditions.

Catsey Veteran

26-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #4

Are they putting up her premiums based on her age or because you have made a claim recently?
What you've got at the moment is a fund-limited policy, so you have a 'pot' of money that will be dipped into every time you make a claim i.e if she developed a chronic condition like diabetes, but once it's gone, you're no longer covered for that condition. The excess for that policy is pretty good.
In theory, you would be better of with a lifetime cover option but you tend to pay a higher premium with these policies. You will also need to look at the upper age limit cut off, I know with petplan it's 10yrs for cats (8 for dogs) but unsure about other companies.
I would avoid a time-limited policy at all costs and make sure you read the small print carefully-some policies don't cover things like sending tissue samples for analysis or the extra costs incurred during out of hours hospitalisation.
I apologise if you know all this already!
The fact that she has no other underlying conditions will help and I think the best thing to do is to get a few online quotes, you don't have anything to lose after all!

Catsey Junior

26-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #5

Thank you Pinklizzy, I can't help wondering what on earth my age has to do with my cat's insurance. I can't see any that are 'life time' but some are marked 'unlimited'. It's confusing after a while. I shall keep trawling...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
26-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #6

If your animal is with them from birth or a lot of years, surely the age cut off doesnt count anymore?

Wonder why Sainsburys is doing that, bith my dogs are with them. Katie on limited policy & Harvey on the lifetime

Have you got your new quote? I would phone & query it. If they double ours, i would seriously reconsider if they hype Katies up. Hers is due for renewal soon

All the cats are with PetPlan life policies

Catsey Junior

26-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
If your animal is with them from birth or a lot of years, surely the age cut off doesnt count anymore?

Wonder why Sainsburys is doing that, bith my dogs are with them. Katie on limited policy & Harvey on the lifetime

Have you got your new quote? I would phone & query it. If they double ours, i would seriously reconsider if they hype Katies up. Hers is due for renewal soon

All the cats are with PetPlan life policies
I started the policy on line & they tell me it was a first year discount. Last year it cost £6.81 per month, this year it's going up to £11.82, there have been no claims. When I rang them, they said if I stayed with them they'd give me £30 in shopping vouchers.... There is no Sainsbury stores near me.

My apologies to Pinklizzy, who also asked me this but I forgot to answer.

Catsey Veteran

26-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttygran
Thank you Pinklizzy, I can't help wondering what on earth my age has to do with my cat's insurance. I can't see any that are 'life time' but some are marked 'unlimited'. It's confusing after a while. I shall keep trawling...
Some insurers will put up the premiums as the animal ages as they deem them more likely to become unwell and therefore you're more likely to make a claim.
Petplan do lifetime cover but I'm not sure whether the premiums would be more than you are paying already. I pay about £16 a month for Imogen and she's only 3.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
26-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #9

ive just insured my 2 with sainsburys, their policy seems quite good and they get £7500 per condition. For both of my 2, im about £16

Catsey Junior

26-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
Some insurers will put up the premiums as the animal ages as they deem them more likely to become unwell and therefore you're more likely to make a claim.
Petplan do lifetime cover but I'm not sure whether the premiums would be more than you are paying already. I pay about £16 a month for Imogen and she's only 3.
I can see their point as an animal ages but they always ask my age.. ?