Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #1

Understanding your pet's Blood work

Understanding your pet’s blood work
CBC or Complete Blood Count is the most common test performed on pets and people. It gives information on hydration status, anaemia, infection, the bloods clotting ability and the ability of the immune system to respond. This test is normally run on pets which have fevers, are vomiting, have diarrhoea, weakness, pale gums or loss of appetite.
HCT or Hematocrit measures the percentage of red blood cells to detect anaemia and dehydration.
HGB and MCHC, Haemoglobin and Mean Corpuscular Haemoglobin Concentration is oxygen carrying pigments of red blood cells.
WBC or White Blood Cell Count measures the cells that fight off infection. Increases or decreases can indicate certain infections or disease processes.
Grans and L/M, Granulocytes and Lymphocytes/Monocytes are specific types of white blood cells.
EOS or Eosinophils are a specific type of white blood cell that may indicate allergic or parasitic conditions.
PLT or Platelets measure cells which form blood clots.
Blood Chemistry
These tests evaluate organ function, electrolyte status, hormone levels and more.
These are useful for evaluating your pets for a variety of conditions as well as verifying health before any anaesthetic procedures.

ALB or Albumin is a serum protein which helps evaluate hydration, haemorrhage, intestinal, liver and kidney disease.
ALKP or Alkaline Phosphates, elevations may indicate liver damage, Cushing’s disease and active bone growth in young pets. This test is especially significant for cats.
ALT or Alanine Aminothansferase is a sensitive indicator of active liver damage but does not indicate a cause.
AMYL or Amylase, elevations can indicate Pancreatitis or Kidney disease.
Urea (BUN as it’s known in the USA) or Blood Urea Nitrogen, indicates kidney function. An increased blood level is called Azotemia and can be cause by kidney, liver and heart disease, urethral obstruction, shock and dehydration.
Ca or Calcium, deviations can indicate a variety of diseases, tumours, hyperparathyroidism, kidney disease and low Albumin are just a few of the conditions that can alter the serum calcium.
CHOL or Cholesterol is used to supplement the diagnosis or hypothyroidism, liver disease, Cushing’s disease and diabetes mellitus.
Crea or Creatinine reveals kidney function. This test helps distinguish b between kidney and non-kidney causes of elevated Urea.
GLU or Glucose is blood sugar. Elevated levels can be caused by stress or diabetes mellitus. Low levels can cause collapse, seizures and coma.
PHOS or Phosphorous, elevations are often associated with kidney disease, hyperthyroidism and bleeding disorders.
TBIL or Total Biliruben, elevations may indicate liver disease or anaemia.
TP or Total Protein indicates hydration status and provides additional information about the liver, kidneys and infectious diseases.
GLOB or Globulin is a blood protein that often increases with chronic inflammation and infectious diseases.
Na or Sodium is an electrolyte lost with vomiting, diarrhoea, kidney and Addison’s disease. It also helps indicate hydration status.
K or Potassium is an electrolyte lost with vomiting, diarrhoea or excessive urination. Increased levels may indicate kidney disease, Addison’s disease, dehydration and urethral obstruction. High levels can lead to cardiac arrest. Low levels can lead to excessive lethargy and lack of muscle control.
Cl or Chloride is an electrolyte often lost with vomiting and Addison’s disease. Elevations often indicate dehydration.
T4 or Thyroxin is a thyroid hormone. Decreased levels often indicate hypothyroidism in dogs while high levels indicate hyperthyroidism in cats.
Cortisol is a hormone that is measured when testing for certain disease conditions.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
09-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #2

Re: Understanding your pet's Blood work

Maybe we could have this very informative thread as a sticky for folk to refer back to?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
09-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #3

Good thinking Velvet. I know I will never remember what each thing means, but I think I would likely remember that there is a sticky with such info on it, were I to be in need of it...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
09-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #4

Another good informative bit of writing - Thank you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
Good thinking Velvet. I know I will never remember what each thing means, but I think I would likely remember that there is a sticky with such info on it, were I to be in need of it...
I second that ........

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
10-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #6

Thanks for that Elaine ~ very informative, especially for owners that get too stressed/worried at the vets & forget to ask these questions.

When I read it, it sounded like a script from "Casualty" where the doctors reel off all the initials of the tests they want done

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #7

Elaine - this is an EXTREMELY worthwile article, many thanks for this. And yes I think there should be a 'resource' section full of stickies which will enable people to quickly find important information on health, behaviour etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #8

Excellent and informative article. It is sometimes very hard to take information in at the vet, especially when you are so worried about a sick pet. Great to be able to clarify what's what here.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
07-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #9

Good idea about keeping the article as a sticky, Velvet.

This is an article that will always want to be referenced to.