Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Closed Thread

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
11-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #1

Breeding from moggies..intentional or oops litters

Here's food for thought.

When does it become ok to breed moggies? or not ok? Who decides?

I ask this because there have been a few intentional breedings of moggies that I know of and some oops litters yet there seem to be double standards. That is depending on owners.
From what I can gather all have found good homes but its a strange one.

Oh edited to add. Catsey does not promote the breeding of moggies.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
11-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #2

Re: Breeding from moggies..intentional or oops litters

I personally am not fond of intentional breeding of moggies because there are already plenty of cats and kittens out there that need rehoming, why create more? I can understand pedigree breeding because there's a market for it.

Though I also don't think that there should be so much anger towards accidental litters. Not everything in nature can be 100% controlled, and these things happen sometimes. If it weren't for my cat's accidental litter 11-12 years ago, we wouldn't have our lovely cat Spike. (She had an emergency spay but otherwise would have been spayed ASAP afterwards.)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #3

I think Catsey has, in the past, promoted the breeding of moggies whether accidental or deliberate, and probably will again in the future too, sadly .
I am not a complete fan of breeding pedigrees either as there are a great many dubious breeders out there and more and more pedigrees are finding themselves in the hands of rescues also.
The anger behind accidental litters stems from the fact that these could have easily been avoided and if you were to see what rescuers see on a daily basis, neuter and spey would be a priority. I do accept that in exceptional circumstances, perhaps mistakes can happen but on Catsey these mistakes happen on a pretty regular basis. I have never seen so many accidental litters on one forum. My opinion is that if we are relaxed and say "oh well these things happen, not your fault", you are being complacent about the whole thing. Who's fault is it if not the owners?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
11-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #4

I suppose you're right there.

Unfortunately it's just not something that will ever be easily fixed, though. All you can do is make sure that you're a responsible owner and hope that it rubs off on other people.

If I am financially able, in the future I do wish to either start up a small shelter or foster animals.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #5

This topic has been exhausted more times than enough on Catsey.

Here's some previous threads discussing exactly the same thing

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25660

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=14550

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=12915

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=11815

Catsey Veteran

11-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #6

You may well be fed up hearing it Fran but the fact is that it is still happening and more importantly, it's still happening here on Catsey.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #7

I'm not fed up of hearing it Elaine, just think it has been well covered enough already and fairly recently too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
11-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #8

Not sure I have a problem with people having the odd litter of moggies, if they have good (for life) homes set for them. Although there are plenty of moggies in rescue centres across the UK, will the odd litter of moggies make the problem that much worse? But when I refer to breeding I am not taking about people breeding 100's of cats a year and making money out of it, but the odd time it might happen.

What gets on my nerves is some peoples attitude to pets that they seem to be disposalble things and not for life. What do they say "a pet isn't just for Christmas". If people were comitted to their pets then half wouldn't be in rescue centres in the first place!!

Catsey Veteran

11-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
What gets on my nerves is some peoples attitude to pets that they seem to be disposalble things and not for life. What do they say "a pet isn't just for Christmas". If people were comitted to their pets then half wouldn't be in rescue centres in the first place!!
It is also important to remember that some cats end up in rescue due to circumstances beyond the owners control also, not all are simply abandoned.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
11-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #10

I agree Elaine, hence my comment "some people" but I wonder what the true percentage of these really are?

Closed Thread