Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
02-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #1

Can you have ......

Can you still get tonsillitis even if you have had your tonsils removed ?,i know this sounds like a stupid question but my dad seems to think you can.
I always used to get tonsillitis and eventually last jan after years of infections and antibiotics they finally removed them,ive had a real bad throat all day and feel just like i used to when i used to get tonsillitis,dad seems to think that i may have the infection back were the tonsils used to be
this question is making me sound really dumb isnt it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
02-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #2

Re: Can you have ......

Not a dumb question at all Erin, I know the feeling....I suffer it lots but unless I get it 3 times in a short space of time they wont take them out here

Why dont you ring National Health Direct?

((((((hugs)))))) x

Catsey Veteran

02-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet
Not a dumb question at all Erin, I know the feeling....I suffer it lots but unless I get it 3 times in a short space of time they wont take them out here

Why dont you ring National Health Direct?

((((((hugs)))))) x
ive just been on their web site sweet and it seems you still can get the infection,i used to have about 4 infections a year lasting around 2 weeks at a time it was horrible.
they were reluctant to remove them when i was younger as they said i would grow out of it but i never did,it was only when i was missing so much time off work they decided that perhaps they should be removed,obviously it didnt matter about the time i missed off school or the pain i was in .
oh well one infection in the last months isnt bad i suppose,i just hope this isnt the start to many more.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
02-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #4

Yes you can i think. I had mine taken out when i was 5 after i got poisoned tonsils realy horrible. My daughter had them take out on her 6th birthday.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
02-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #5

Yes, you can still get infection in the throat where the tonsils used to be

Catsey Veteran

02-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Yes, you can still get infection in the throat where the tonsils used to be
oh well,obviously it has done some good having them removed,first infection ive had since i had them taken out,thats even if it is tonsillitis,ill make an appointment at the dr's tomorrow and see what they say.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #7

The one thing that my children both suffer with is tonsillitis..loads!

The doctors won't whip them out like they used to unless they feel it's absolutely neccesary. When I asked if they could have them out due to the endless antibiotics they keep having, one doctor told me that they will still get throat infections so what's the point. I figured she had a valid point & didn't persue it..

She did ask if they eat a healthy diet.. when I told her they don't , she said that's why! Get some fruit & veg & vitamins into them, she said... we encouraged the girls to eat fruit & come to think, they've been pretty good ever since.

touch wood they haven't had it for a while, but if ever they are ill..it's always their bloomin' tonsills & throat infections.

Catsey Veteran

02-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #8

Its a right pain isnt it if they keep getting it i wuld keep askin for them to be taken out,yes they may still infections bt not as sever or as often,an the last thing they want is to have them taken out as adults cus omg the pain!kids recover quicker!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #9

You might want to think about taking an Echinacea supplement to help build resistance to infections (and eat well!). I think the liquid 'tincture' is better than tablets

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
03-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #10

Yep you do still get tonsilitis...aaaaannnnd they can even grow back in some extreme occasions so I have heard lol.... I appear to still have half of one of mine guess they didnt get it all out when I was bout 6 .......maybe thats why I ended back in hiospital with hemmoraghing lol