Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: wild cat
13-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #11

Re: Getting tablets into a cat?

2 pills down and the first one only came out twice before it finally went down! Ans no claws or bites (did wake him up to do it though!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
13-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #12

Well done!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
13-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #13

I use pieces of chicken to pill Tom twice a day. I have also used a piece of cheese as someone has already suggested, it can be moulded around the tablet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #14

Unless you have a super suspicious cat who suspects all is not quite well with that second piece of ham or chicken .... the one with the pill in it .... too smart for their own good, sometimes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
13-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Unless you have a super suspicious cat who suspects all is not quite well with that second piece of ham or chicken .... the one with the pill in it .... too smart for their own good, sometimes

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
14-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #16

So much easier to give pills to unsuspecting & greedy labradors than suspicious & fussy cats!!!

The ways I've managed in the past are:

1. For crushable pills ~ find something super tasty & quite strong tasting that the cat will lick from a saucer. I used fish paste but Pate, meat paste, thick yoghurt or cream can work just as well. Crush the pill between 2 teaspoons (back of one against the front of the other) to a fine powder, mix with paste/pate & let cat lick up. Only use a small amount of paste/pate that the cat will eat in one go.

2. For non-crushable pills (or cats that won't lick up paste/pate) you'll need a human helper (& possibly a thick towel or thick gloves!). Helper holds cat still ~ I find it's better to hold the cat from behind & ensure that claws are managed (wrap in thick towel?). Then pill popper opens the cat's mouth by putting fingers or a finger & thumb in the sides of the cat's mouth & opening it. With the other hand, push pill to back of throat, hold mouth close, & gently rub throat till cat swallows.

The pill-popper things can be invaluable for really difficult & feisty cats.

But cats very quickly learn how to avoid taking a pill, especially if the act of forcing it down the cat's throat is particularly traumatic. So it can help if you can follow up the pill-popping with something the cat really loves, e.g. a good brushing, game with a toy, special food that they don't get any other time. This helps stop the association forming between you (owner) & the cat being grabbed & having a pill forced down it's throat. End on a positive

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: tabby cat
16-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #17

I use the cheese method to get tablets into Minnie.Also she has her tablet when we get in from work when shes always hungry. Weekends can be a struggle as she gets out of her routine.We tried the towel and 2 people method but it was to traumatic for Minnie and husband and i ended up argueing.