Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: wild cat
13-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #1

Getting tablets into a cat?

Whisky is on antibiotics at the moment, the vet found that he had a temperature today, I would never have guessed it the way he has been charging around He only went in to have his deformed claw clipped!

I have tried to crush todays and put them in his food as he is usually so greedy, however he is refusing to eat the food

So I am going to have to do it the hard way, but how do you do it, I have never had to get tablets into a cat before, my dad always did it when I was at home?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #2

Re: Getting tablets into a cat?

Try pushing the whole tablet into a bite size piece of cheese so that it is totally covered and offer it to him by hand, the cheese will often overpower the smell/taste of the AB

Another method is to wrap the tablet in a small piece of ham before offering it to him.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
13-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #3

Chloe is a ****** when it comes to pills. We did manage it by using John West dressed (thats the brown stuff) Crab meat, it STINKS about 80p per small tin. But she's even cottoned on to that now so we had to do it the hard way last week. Wrap the cat in a large towel and open its mouth and push the pill in and then keep the jaws shut to avoid the cat spitting the pill out, best do this with two people!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyabrew
Chloe is a ****** when it comes to pills. We did manage it by using John West dressed (thats the brown stuff) Crab meat, it STINKS about 80p per small tin. But she's even cottoned on to that now so we had to do it the hard way last week. Wrap the cat in a large towel and open its mouth and push the pill in and then keep the jaws shut to avoid the cat spitting the pill out, best do this with two people!
When you have the tablet in her mouth, rub her gently on her throat, this nearly always encourages them swallow the tablet...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #5

"Nearly always" ... Leia (and previous cats) never read that part; she always manages to fake it and spit it out as soon as released from the towel! I am hopeless at pilling a cat....... good luck!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
13-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #6

What antibiotics are they? Some are coated so actually taste a lot worse when they are crushed. I always swear by the pill giver http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/images/pillgiver.jpg it keeps fingers much further away from those sharp little teeth and makes it easier to get the pill nearer the back of the throat and more difficult to spit back out!
You can also wrap the tablet in something tasty before putting it in the pill giver to help.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: wild cat
13-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #7

they are Stomorgyl 2 and they are coated! My previous cat would eat anything crushed up in food, this one is obviously fussy! Problem is they only gave me 7 days worth and I have already crushed todays and put in his food so that's one days dose wasted!

Do I keep trying with the ones crushed in food today or give up and try to get him to have whole ones instead?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
13-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #8

Stomorgyl shouldn't be crushed or broken so I think you'll need to try and get a whole one down him unfortunately.
As for the extra dose, I'd call your vets and explain-they should be able to give you another dose to extend the course by a day.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #9

I had to do that with Leia also ... wasted 3 doses and had to contact vet for more ..........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #10

I'd second the benefit of the pill popper. My vet stocks them so that may be an avenue to try.

I have had too many really sore puncture wounds from those teeth. Only advice I would give you is to practice a bit first before you use it. That way you know how much pressure to use!

Good luck.