Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: MOGGIE
30-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Hi I am new and sooo worried

Hi All I should really have went to introductions but I am so worried.
I bought a 8 week old Moggie on Friday. The little thing was fine health wise etc.. eating and drinking.
Yesterday I left him for few hours in my sons room to go shopping. When I returned home and entered the room he walked towards me and I noticed he was "unsteady"
Sitting down and watching him further I noticed he was breathing really fast, sitting just falling asleep then proceeded to fall over.
I rushed him to a Vet( unfortunately not my regular one due to weather) who examined him and stated it may be Viral Meningitis.
I had to leave him overnight and am awaiting a phonecall this morning although Vet said it does not look good outcome

Does anyone have any knowledge/ experience of this in a young kitten??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #2

Re: Hi I am new and sooo worried

Bart - I'm so sorry you find us under such stressful circumstances. I can't offer any advice as I've not experienced such symptoms in any of my cats, but your little one is in the right place - with a vet, who will I'm sure do their best to diagnose what the problem is.

Are you able to speak to the person from whom you bought the kitten? They might know something - for instance any health issues with the mother cat - that might help shed some light.

All the best to you and to the kitten - please let us know what the vet says.

Catsey Junior

30-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Bart - I'm so sorry you find us under such stressful circumstances. I can't offer any advice as I've not experienced such symptoms in any of my cats, but your little one is in the right place - with a vet, who will I'm sure do their best to diagnose what the problem is.

Are you able to speak to the person from whom you bought the kitten? They might know something - for instance any health issues with the mother cat - that might help shed some light.

All the best to you and to the kitten - please let us know what the vet says.
Thanks Yola I am going to phone the lady I got him from later today after I have had news from Vet. I did see Mum and Dad and they were lovely healthy looking cats.
I just have this sad feeling that I may not be getting Bart back home and my son who I got him for will be so upset as the little kitten had totally bonded with him sleeping on his shoulder at night all snuggled up Its heartbreaking here at the moment

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #4

Bart - I'm sure there will be others along shortly who have more experience and can offer suggestions. Hang on in there . . .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #5

I am so very sorry to hear about your new kitten but as Yola says, he's in the right place at the vet and hopefully all will be done that can be done. It's heart-wrenching for you and your family. I am sending healing vibes to little Bart.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
30-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #6

Bart, you did the right thing getting him to medical aid as quickly as you did. All my hopes and wishes are for your little cat, I've no experience of viral meningitis in cats I'm afraid but the vets will do everything they can.
Stay positive and I'm sending healing vibes too. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #7

So sorry to hear that you've had such an awful time with little Bart I really hope that the vet manages to help him. Please keep us updated.
Sending healing vibes x

Catsey Junior

30-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #8

Thank you so much Yola, Angieh, Alexgirl and Poshpuss for your kind thoughts.
I have since phoned lady I got him from and seemingly the rest of litter is okay.
I then contacted Vets as had not heard from them Anyway I am now confused as well as still worried. The Vet spoke to me on the phone and told me she was now standing looking at a very playful. full bellied Kitten.
Bart seemingly is now showing no neurological symptoms that he was admitted with and has eaten and drank this morning.
I have to contact them again at 3pm as Vet says they will continue to monitor him and make sure he is okay.
I am totally confused now as to what/ is wrong with him.

After posting on here I sat and thought of anything in my sons room that may have caused symptoms as Vet asked me if he had been around anything that he could have ingested.Yesterday I stated NO to the Vet as I knew there was nothing lying around son's room as I had Kitty proofed it.
Anyways I then remembered I had wiped an area of my son's carpet with Flash Strong Weave Wipes. I told the Vet this whilst on phone this morning as I maybe thought Bart could have walked across area and then licked his paws.
Vet says no that this would have caused excess salivation and vomiting. Bart had vomited just before I took him to Vets so --Anyone think it may have been this small area of chemical cleaning that may have caused this??
and If it is Viral Meningitis that Vet diagnosed would Bart be okay now??
Sorry for the long post but I am so confused now and obviously still worried incase Bart has these symptoms again as I definately thought he would not be coming back after the way he was last night

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
30-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #9

I was wondering if he could have fallen and maybe banged his little head, causing a slight concusion or something.
As your vet said, with chemical cleaners, he would have been salivating a noticably and vommiting. I do think this vet may have been a little premature to say that it may have been viral meningitis and as he is a perky little kitten again, I perhaps wouldnt worry about that too much.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
30-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #10

I'm so sorry to hear about little Bart, but pleased that he seems to be on the mend again.

I understand that young kittens can sometimes get various illnesses that can cause lots of different symptoms, including loss of balance, lethargy, loss of appetite etc. My vet said that by the time they have performed the tests to identify the particular cause, small kittens can go downhill & die quite quickly. The answer is usually to prescribe a general all-purpose anti-biotic & hope that it covers whatever the kitten has contracted. My kitten recovered quite well in 48 hours & was back to normal within a few days. I even resorted to feeding him teaspoons of yoghurt on one occasion as I was worried that he'd become dehydrated & this was the only thing he'd touch. He then grew up to be a yoghurt fan (& thief ) & I always wondered if this was linked to his illness as a kitten.

Best wishes for Bart's speedy recovery.