Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
12-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #1

Fluffy's latest results.

Fluffy was blood sampled again to see how her thyroid levels were after her meds increased. The good news is that they are normal.....the bad news is that she still acts very hyperthyroid. We are going to book her in next week for general bloods, test her blood pressure and her heart, in a months time we will recheck her thyroid. We may then progress onto x-rays.
I am now even more worried than when I thought it was her thyroid. She seems to get very stressed when picked up, is ravenous and mouth breathes when I try to groom her, which makes me worry about her heart.
I do think she has put on weight though, so that is a good thing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
12-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #2

Re: Fluffy's latest results.

Poor baby. Glad her levels are normal.

Hugs from us

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #3

Oh dear! Mysterious, it does sound as if something is still wrong if the thyroid levels are normal........??? Fingers crossed they'll be able to get it sorted, farthing. Weight is good, though, fingers crossed for Fluffy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
12-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #4

That sounds concerning, even if it is good news that all seems well in the areas that have been checked. I hope that you find out what's up soon.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
13-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #5

The mouth breathing is concerning. Can they do a cardiac echo to look for cardio myopathies?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
13-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #6

I think they are planning to listen to her heart, possibly scan and do x-rays if needed. She was fine at the vet being blood sampled but does get very stressed being groomed, unfortunately she is long haired so at some point she will have to be sedated to have the mats removed again. I was convinced she was still hyperthyroid as were the vets, we now have to start all over again, as well as recheck her thyroid levels in a month. Smudge used to get very stressed in the vet and mouth breath, she was fine at any other time and possibly Fluffy has bad associations with being groomed because her previous owner had mental health problems and Fluffy was not well treated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #7

Poor Fluffy - could it all be because she associates grooming with pain? Glad her thyroid levels are fine, that has to be good news and I hope that the reason can be discovered quickly.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 6 Moggy's
13-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #8

Poor little love.
Sending lots of kisses to fluffy xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
13-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #9

Glad Fluffy's thyroid levels are normal. Lets hope she is just a stress head Cat.
Tom is hyperthyroid and on treatment. His levels are now normal but i have to say he is always asking for food and he also gets stressed when i try to groom him, he is hypersensitive on his lower back.
Last year when he had the tooth problem and i had to take him to the vets often he also became very stressed and mouth breathed, i have never seen a cat do this before. He doesn't do it now.