Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
30-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #1

Tabatha.

Tabatha has been more lazy and less hungry lately and I did put it down to the fact she was no longer hyperthyroid. She is still jumping up onto the desk to see me, but has not been grooming and sometimes staggered when landing. I put this down to age. I have just checked her gums and they are WHITE. I'm now so worried I've missed something, she is hyperthyroid and FIV positive. I'll get her in tomorrow morning, but if she does have non regenerative aneamia I'm not sure what they can do if she is this bad- Jimmy has never been as white.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #2

Re: Tabatha.

Oh farthing, sorry to hear this! Do let us know what the vet says; sending healhy vibes......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #3

Sorry to read this about Tabatha, farthing. Fingers crossed your vet can do something. I'll put in a quick word with The Great Cat right now.

Catsey Veteran

01-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #4

Just back for the vet and he agreed her gums were very pale, she has also lost a lot of weight ( about 1 kilo in a month) I did expect some weight loss though because her thyroid meds had been too high and she was hypo for a while. He was quite concerned and I have to say wasn't sounding positive. We took full bloods and a thyroid test and he called me as soon as the results were in. They are not too bad . She is quite anaemic but not as bad as Jimmy, her kidneys and liver are fine, she is showing signs of having an infection though. Her white blood cells are up and her globulins are also raised. He was a bit vague about the raised globulins though, he said it can be due to infection or 'other things' but didn't elaborate and wanted to see if antibiotics helped her. I have to inject her with betamox today and sunday and report back on Monday. We will hopefully get her thyroid results soon. So fingers crossed she will perk up and we will see how she goes. He did say she had done very well for an FIV cat.

Sorry if I sound a bit of a scaremonger, I think I am over protective having lost 4 this year already and I know so many are on a knife edge health wise- I panic.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #5

I am glad things aren't hopeless for Tabatha. Farthing, it's wonderful what you do and how deeply you feel for all your creatures. I am sure no-one here would blame you for a bit of a panic and it's very good that you can let those worries out here and know that we will understand and be as supportive as we can, albeit only in words.

Catsey Veteran

01-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #6

I can't possibly put it better than Angie just did.........

Catsey Veteran

04-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #7

ggod news, Tabatha's thyroid levels are fine and she has perked up with the antibiotics.

Catsey Veteran

04-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #8

Oh what great news!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #9

Great news for Tabatha

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #10

I took Tabatha back to the vet today because she has gone downhill again and she has lost even more weight. It was a different vet who saw her and she is pretty concerned and was shocked at how white her gums were ( although I tried to tell her they were the same as last time, of course she was anaemic then but the other vet wasn't overly concerned). I have to take her back this evening for bloods to be taken ( we had run out of tubes at my branch, my fault!). This vet is much more concerned about Tabatha and the other one was worried.
Having lost Pipkin, our longest resident guinea pig, who we had from aged 4 days old, its not been a good day.