Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #1

Daisy

Daisy is my old cat who I have had for about 12 years, not sure of her real age as she is a resuce cat, but she must be about 15.

She only goes out very occassionaly, and stays up-stairs all the time (as she hates my OH)! I have noticed that she has getting very very knotted - she is semi long haired, underneath is quite bad - she is a little bit spitful so combing is out of the question, i am concerned about taking her to the vets as she is a very very nervous cat and at her age I am not sure how she would cope.

Any suggestions?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-07-2005, 02:17 PM   #2

Re: Daisy

It sounds like Daisy may not be grooming herself so much now she is getting older.......I don't know if it will work with long haired cats, but I always groom Cassie wearing a rubber glove (she loves it, keeps coming back for more!) and her coat sleek and shiny now...

I think there are drops you can get for nervous cats to help them cope with stressful situations....if the worse comes to the worse and you have to take her to the vet, it might be worth a try....

@Abbi......has she still not made friends with your OH

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #3

She hates him Mags - its seriously bad! I think she might have to go to the vets and be sedated and shaved maybe - I think yout right about it being her old age, poor old girl.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-07-2005, 02:27 PM   #4

Does she let you handle her Abbi?

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #5

Yes she does but every now and again she will swipe at me - she has been like this since I got her, not a recent thing, and the trouble is most of the clumps are underneath and most cat dont like being toucher their anyway - especially Daisy! I did cut out some from her rump - but only managed one side - went to do the other side and she told me off !

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
12-07-2005, 04:36 PM   #6

I am not very familiar with long haired cats, all mine are shorthaired but I agree that it is probably her age that has caused her to neglect herself a little. I bet Sam could offer some advice as she must have experience of older persians and their coats.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
12-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #7

Lucky my 18 year old (shorthair) doesn't groom herself much these days but Maud does it for her