Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
06-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #1

Burmese with diarrhoea?

I got a pm on [Sys edit: Contains pet forums] about a Burmese cat in Falkirk who is going to be PTS next week because it has diarrhoea and the vets can't find out why. The owner has a young child and can't cope.
I know nothing yet about age, sex or what it has been tested for yet, but on the off chance, any thoughts as potential problem, is FIP a concern, do you think?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
06-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #2

Re: Burmese with diarrhoea?

Seems to be quite serious if they are considering euthanasia and the vets can't establish why, farthing.
I don't know enough to make a guess at why, but I can sympathise with the family who are at a loss what to do - sad.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #3

Poor cat - could it be stress-related? Don't know enough to make informed comment, I'm afraid.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
06-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #4

The Big Foozy was pretty desperate as regards poo when we got him. At first I thought he'd got cold on his tummy after he'd been chucked out in January. I tried all sorts of food and came to the conclusion he is cereal intolerant so he gets 'sensitive tummy' dry food and cereal free wet food. He's fine now but it took months of trial and error. The vet just said he needed food for sensitive tummies and recommended some horrendously expensive stuff they just happened to sell! I don't think diarrhoea is a reason to have a cat put to sleep unless the cat is very ill with it. We persevered with the Big Foozy for months before we got him right. Perhaps Burmese Rescue could help. Seems such a shame. Just thought, a friend lives in Castle Douglas, she is an animal communicator, maybe she would be able to find out why. Elaine told me all sorts about the Big Foozy that helped me to help him. Elaine Easton Murdoch, I know she's on fb but I don't know if she has a website. Got to be worth a try.

Catsey Veteran

07-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #5

Arrrgh, it seems the owner is now thinking about PTS rather than rehoming. He isn't dehydrated or thin so I doubt it's something terminal. I think the husband is pushing for PTS and she is worried because her cat hissed at a neighbour's cat so she thinks he won't adapt. They want to discuss with the vet again.
Still it's very frustrating, we are in the area picking up other rescues tomorrow so could have taken him home tomorrow ( he's about 3 hours away!) and we are left waiting, potentially turning away other cats while we wait for a decision.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
07-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #6

Couldn't you just really lose your temper with some people. Had quite a bit of experience with rescue dogs. I wish people would realise that any animal isn't just a disposable toy you can get rid of when you are fed up with it. How selfish. Could you ask the vet to let you know if they bring it in to be PTS? Why get the bloody cat if they get fed up that easy. I use to call people like this earwigs as in I wouldn't trust them to look after an earwig let alone a dog. Grrrrr. Rant over. Sorry Farthing, sounds like you are doing your very best under extremely trying circumstances.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
10-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #7

Could be TF that is making it like that in which case will need to be isolated from any other cats and put on tablets for about 3 weeks and it is a sod to clear as some cats become carriers for it and show no other signs

Usually treated with ronidazole

Catsey Veteran

17-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #8

Thanks Liz, heard no more of this cat, owner is apparently on holiday.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
19-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

Hi

I hope its not too late for the little cat with chronic diarrhea. We have had this problem. For six months under vets care we trialled diets specifically for this problem but as soon as we came off meds back came the diarrhea

It was a persian breeder on catsey that gave me the solution. I was very skeptical & for a while didnt get the food then i bought a bag & didnt use it . My vet in meantime was suggesting Scans

I felt we had nothing to lose. Day two of a five day changeover there was a difference in stool consistency , i didnt dare hope but i was excited. By day five we had nornsl stools. It was like a miracle. Its an adult food but we supplemented the kittens diet with wet kitten food. He has certainly never looked back

Last year we got in a poorly rescue kitten again with chronic diarrhea. Within days of going on the food his stools were normal.

If they get any variation away from this dry food both cats will get loose again

I feed all our cats on it & have been told CP use it. Ours love it. Not the cheapest food but well worth it.

I really cannot recommend this food highly enough

Pro Plan Delicate

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_r...902&pf_id=4914

This is Jac the little one who was so bad with diarrhea

This is Henri who we got last year also with chronic diarrhea, now aged 10 months, this is the shed that leads into their cat run

Catsey Veteran

20-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #10

This cat is back on and will be collected as soon as we can get down to fife.
It turns out he also suffers from 'feline orofacial pain syndrome', which can be triggered by stress but seems to be treated fairly easily.
He is an older boy so fits our criteria and hopefully we can sort out his issues.
Thanks for taking the time to post Velvet. I will see what tests have actually been done and see what can be changed to help him.