Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
15-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #1

Hestia won't stop vomiting

Hestia, my 15 year old, has had hyperthyroid for several years now that we were treating with Methimazole tablets. Recently she's been vomiting quite often and we added 1/4 tab Pepcid AC twice a day to the regimen. Still vomiting so we switched to the transdermal ear gel of the medication and continued the Pepcid. Still vomiting. I notice the liquid in it is bright yellow which makes me think bile. I'm waiting a few days to see if this continues before I call the vet again and see what's next but anyone have any experience with a hyperthyroid kitty that just won't stop vomiting? I've tried different foods and it doesn't matter. She's actually on Iams Digestive kibble right now bc when I give her canned food she actually vomits MORE. I'm not sure if there's something I'm overlooking. I'm starting to wonder if this will just never stop or if something else is going on. Any help would be appreciated. She just had a check up a few weeks ago with full on complete senior blood panel and nothing else was indicated. I wonder if I should ask for an xray or ultrasound or something...

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
15-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #2

Re: Hestia won't stop vomiting

Sounds like a job for the vet. I wouldn't like to speculate. The only time any of my cats vomit is to get rid of a furball. In fact, Fecto, my eldest (nearly 12) has done just that in the windowsill. I have no experience of hyperthyroid in cats but I hope she gets better soon.

Catsey Veteran

16-04-2014, 03:23 AM   #3

Thanks for reply. I should have clarified that the vomiting was about once a day, reduced to 4 times a week and is back to once a day. So she is keeping some food down, just not all. The vomiting has been going on for several weeks. I did ask my vet at her checkup to check her kidneys as she's been drinking and urinating more but kidney values were fine. She palpated her abdomen and everything felt okay. So I really wonder if I should ask for some kind of further testing. I think it's possible that she just may have bad reaction to all thyroid medication. In that case, what would we do for her now? I'll put another call in to the vet tomorrow, just would like some ideas in my head for course of action if the vet continues to not be concerned (things that I could suggest or ask her to check). Oh, and I forgot to mention that a heart arrhythmia was detected at her checkup, if that's worth anything.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
16-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #4

Tink, I'm sorry that your Hestia is unwell. I know nothing of her problem but just wanted to let you know I am thinking of her and saying a wee prayer for her . Hope the vet can get to the source of the problem and that Hestia feels much better soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #5

Hi Tink, so sorry to hear about Hestia's vomiting. Knowing you, you and your vet are doing everything you can think about. Coincidentally, I met a little cat last Saturday who had had a thyroidectomy and was doing well. Healing vibes for Hestia.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
16-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #6

sorry to hear about Hestia's problem, Tink.
is it possible she has a hairball ?
i believe that kidney problems can cause a cat to feel sick but i see her kidney values are fine, wonder if hyperthyroidism does the same.
Our vet doesn't believe in lots of tests for elderly animals and would advise just treating the symptoms to keep the cat comfy.
I do hope she's feeling better soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #7

Balie used to vomit pretty well on a daily basis; he wasn't hyperthyroid though (although I suspect, despite extensive bloods something wasn't showing up). It did ultimately compromise both his weight, his strength and his resistance to illness.

I appreciate you don't want to keep running to the vet, but if there is a regular pattern to the vomiting perhaps you should seek professional advice. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
16-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #8

Hyperthyroidism and kidney issues are linked, but the kidneys have to be about 70% compromised before it shows up in blood tests, its also when people start to notice issues with their cat with increased fluid input and output. It could be she isn't reacting well to the meds, you can have thyroidectomy done although it more risky than many ops or you can get a new food from hills called Y-d diet and it basically has no iodine, the only problem is, is that it must be the only thing your cat eats. I think I would want to rule out any other issues before going ahead with the op especially, but it may be worth trying the food. Our Helga is sick fairly regularly but it doesn't bother her and she is doing well on the meds so I haven't worried about it too much.
When is she being sick compared to feeding time, it may just be too long between feeds with her condition and maybe a feed inbetween times will help?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
16-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #9

Fecto also has a heart murmur and we were told years ago by an Aussie vet that there was nothing could be done. It has never bothered him and he used to race round playing when he was younger. Maybe small meals regularly would help Hestia then she doesn't have to digest as much at once. When I think about it Fecto is sick 3 or 4 times a week but he usually brings up fur even though he brushed nearly every day. I hope Hestia is soon feeling better.

Catsey Veteran

22-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #10

Great news. Shortly after I posted, Hestia stopped vomiting. I guess I jumped the gun a bit thinking switching to the ear cream compound of the meds wasn't helping things either but I guess she just needed a couple more days to get used to it. She actually looks like she's filling out a bit too