Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
09-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #11

Re: The Library

That's a lovely library.

When I was younger I used to want my own library in my house - all those books just for me!

Of course, right now, the reality is a little different, seeing I've 4 rooms, including kitchen and bathroom, so lounge and bedroom double up as book depositories, but...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #12

I'm being tempted by the idea of a Kindle or similar .... now that a friend of mine has one and has told me that you can alter the size of display ... a wonderful idea for those of us whose eyesight may be causing a few problems, just through ageing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
09-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #13

That looks a really good facility Eileen, who gets to choose which new books to get in and how are new purchases funded? Or are most of the books donated by residents?

Hubby always fancied having a library room like the one Professor Higgins has in the film of My Fair Lady, fat chance!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #14

As far as I know, all the books are donations from the residents. There is a library committee but I'm unclear what it actually does. I've donated 3 paperbacks so far after I've finished them.

Sometimes buying a book from Amazon is actually cheaper than the Kindle copy. Say, the book I want is $7.99 on Kindle; I can get it used for1 cent + $3.99 shipping,so a $3.99 savings. Angie, it's true you can adjust the type size, I've never done it but the capability is there. A Kindle would be a nice C********s present .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
11-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #15

thats lovely. im a great reader. could read when i was 4 years old and i havnt stopped since. dont think id like to read on a kindle. the smell of a book shop. ink and new paper. just love the smell. (am i weird??) ive got piles of books around the house. at the moment im on the last of a trilogy a king arthur set. but not like u have seen on the TV more believable. by M.K.Hume
should finish that by the weekend then ill be back in the library getting more.
we have a book shop in town, where its all 2nd hand books. ppl have donated them. and u go n choose what u want take them away free. and donate any u have so a bit like your library Eileen but not as posh lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
11-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #16

You're not weird for liking the smell of books, though I'll admit that I prefer old hard backs to new ones that way... Well, pretty well every way. There's just something about hard backed books! I've one friend who wouldn't get rid of what books she had and replace them on kindle, but she tells me space wise she'll simply continue to buy on there. Me... were I to have one, I'd be happy to say that - as long as we're not talking about my hard back books (or the ones I want to read in the bath, waterproof Kindle cover or no!!!). Nothing replaces those, and I shall continue to buy hard backed books as and when, so...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #17

No, boys mum - you're not weird, or at least if you are so am I - I've always loved old book shops and paper. There is a place not far from us that makes art papers and I am restraining myself from going there ........

I have the same thoughts about the Kindle - I just think that it would be very practical if I was going on holiday for instance and didn't want to take up luggage space and the thought of being able to alter the text size is becoming more and more attractive. I could never get rid of my books - whenever we have moved house it has been the bone of contention between me and my OH. "Get rid of some of those books!" - "NEVER!"!!!

Catsey Veteran

11-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #18

Angie, that was one of the hardest things I had to do when triaging for the downsize move. More than 45+ years worth of books plus what I'd brought from my former house, and utterly impossible to fit into a studio apartment....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
11-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #19

I have blackberry playbook and I have a couple of books on it.... but it's not the same as turning the pages etc I just can't get into it

Catsey Veteran

11-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #20

Pauline I noticed that at first but wasn't long before I got so wrapped up in the story that I forgot I wasn't actually physically turning pages, just pressing my thumb down.