Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #1

British Summer Time ends .....

................ at 2.00am, Sunday 30th October!

Remember to put your clocks back 1 hour, thus giving us an extra hour of sleep that day!

That will be us in winter mode until 25th March 2012, officially the start of British Summer Time once more!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
28-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #2

Re: British Summer Time ends .....

Mmmmmmm. Maybe this will mean that I'm less likely to want to sleep in until 9 on the weekend! Always supposing that the dark starts are what causes it.

Anyone see that there's talk of a vote regarding joining European time? So the time we're in now would be 'winter' time, and summer time would be an hour earlier... I'm not sure what I think about that...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #3

I hate it when you all change earlier: we do on November 6th, and I never know what time to log on for the Wednesday quiz!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

28-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #4

*nods* they do it just to confuse us all! Think you need to be an hour earlier than usual Eileen, cause we're sleeping in an hour and getting up an hour later, so the time difference is smaller...

Catsey Veteran

28-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

errrr.... computer decided this had failed to post...

Catsey Veteran

28-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #6

Normally 3 pm here is 8 pm in the UK, I think I don't log in Wednesday till 4 pm my time .....you'd think by now I'd remember....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
28-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #7

There has never been a logical explanation for losing then gaining these hours..
Much of the psychological problems, for example Seasonal Affective Disorder (or S.A.D.), occur because we are still primordially predisposed to following our Iron Age instincts of resting up and hibernating in the winter when food to hunt is scarce and the daylight hours are at a minimum. We live against our instincts. Added to that we are forced to chop and change our hours..It can't be good. :/

Catsey Veteran

28-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #8

I'd be all for it, were I not forced to work within usual working hours, which kind of means that I've got to get up before I'm ready to in the mornings... It's dark when I have to get up now, and it'll only get worse until the days start to lengthen again. The change in the hour doesn't loose any light up here, not really... Now, if I were to be allowed to go to bed when it got dark, and get up when it got light as we did in the past, it might well be a very different thing - so the advent of the electric light caused half my problem!!!

(OK, that'd be sleeping far too long in the winter, and far too little in the summer, but...)

Catsey Veteran

28-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #9

I wish we'd stay on daylight/summer time year round! That extra hour of evening light would be great.

Catsey Veteran

28-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #10

while I remember it, no clock change is not the plan being considered... See here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15490249