Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
28-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #1

How do you groom yours?

OK... Cloud and I have just enjoyed a quiet grooming session together - partly because she wanted attention, and this is one of her favourite ways of getting it!

It struck me while I was brushing her that we have quite a complicated routine of brushing (involving 3 brushes now!!!), and I was wondering how others went about the process of grooming...

For Cloud and I...

We start off with the Zoom Groom points end down, and have a bit of a massage session. This mostly brings loose fur up to the top of her coat, though some will stick to the brush.

Then we go onto two brush action, with the Furminator and an 'ordinary' brush in either hand. Furminator to do its usual work, and the ordinary brush to pick up as much of the loose fur as possible.

Cloud will quite happily sit there purring, and will move around to direct Mum to different areas as and when.

Of course, she's some areas she dislikes my brushing - tail for example, and parts of her legs (typical cat!) and some parts of her get missed until the next time... Not much tummy action today for example, but with brushes being reasonably frequent right now I don't worry overly much about some parts not being managed all the time!

So - that's Cloud... How do your cats enjoy (or otherwise!!!) being brushed?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
28-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #2

Re: How do you groom yours?

My 2 have an array of combs and brushes Squirrel, all of which I use at one time or another. Funnily enough their favourite grooming session's involve an old vintage Mason Pearson pure bristle brush from the 70's, it's just like a huge cat's tongue to them!
Chesi has a 'cuddle rug' and knows the words and gets in postion on the rug by the fire every morning and waits ever so patiently for his comb and cuddle session which usually involves a wait of an hour while I tend to his sister and the litter trays of a morning, bless him. They both have the flea comb 1st, then Chesi enjoys a good vigorous brushing and throws himself on the floor dribbling and nuzzling into my hand, funny man. Yep, my 2 love their cuddle time!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #3

I have to admit that I don't groom Kizzy or Pip (bad mummy). Pip quite likes the Furminator when he's shedding in the spring.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #4

Cassie is brushed every day and she loves it! I use two brushes, a firm one initially and then go over her coat, head and under her chin with a soft brush. I use the furminator about three times during summer months only.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
28-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #5

Sorry what's the Furrminator, is it a flea comb...?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
28-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #6

Furminator is a special brush-comb thing which takes out loose hair from all layers of the cats coat, and helps during shedding time in particular. It's teeth are quite fine, and it gets clogged with fur pretty quickly... Some cats love them.

If you look through the forum you should be able to find the threads about when they were first introduced on here - there were even some competitions about the size of the fur balls people had managed to get off of their cats with them.

This is the official Furminator site: http://www.furminator.com/

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthisouthere
Sorry what's the Furrminator, is it a flea comb...?
This link will take you back to the time when Catsey boosted the Furminator sales in 2007!

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...ght=Furminator

..... and here is the result of everyone's first use of the Furminator

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=23270&highlight=Furminator

I enjoyed reading those threads again, they were a good laugh!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #8

We have a session every evening after dinner. Leia gets a thorough grooming with the flea comb which she loves, with the exception of the fur on the back of the hind legs ... leave that be, Mom!! I use the FURminartor 3 -4 times a year, it still amazes me at the amount of dead fur it removes even with a daily grooming .....

Thanks for the links, Mags, I too had forgotten how funny some of them were!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Waifs and Strays
13-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #9

I comb mine with a flea collar once a day incase they picked up any outside . non of my cat have long hair but enjoy being brushed with a soft baby brush after being deflead

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #10

myrtle doesnt get groomed.. she would eat my alive if i tried shes extremely tempermental and everything is on her terms.

ezzy gets brushed with her slicker brush and comb. shes long haired so needs brushing, luckily shes soft as anything and loves being brushed.