Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #21

Re: Tom update

Not very good news for Tom tonight.
He has been a bit off now for a few weeks, couldn't put my finger on it but he's not realy been eating properly. Initialy i could tempt him to eat the renal food by mixing something else tasty in it. However he has stopped eating this and on several occasions has opened his mouth really wide whilst eating.
We took him to the vets tonight and it could be a number of things. One his teeth have some tartar but not enough to really cause a problem, it would be unsafe for him to have a dental anyway.
It could be a combination of his kidney problem making him nauseus (sp) and also because his thyroid is probably under control, he doesn't have the ravenous appetite.
He has been given a long lasting AB injection in case he has an underlying infection. It will last 2 weeks and we can see if there is an improvement. I do hope so, the vet said it may be enough to clear it up. If he improves and it flares up again it would be possible to give him more. Worst scenario is if it doesn't and he deteriorates.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #22

Oh Shelley I am so sorry to hear this about Tom. I know exactly what you're going through and I'm sure you have tried everything you can to get him more comfortable to eat. (((hugs)))) it is a very difficult time with hard decisions ahead - I know you know.

Catsey Veteran

04-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #23

Thanks Angie, we had already decided that we will let him eat what he wants. If things should improve i will try the renal diet but we just want him to enjoy his life. He's such a gentleman, so well behaved at the vets. He makes you proud.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #24

He's a soldier, just like my old Merlin - does make you proud and honoured.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
04-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #25

oh poor tom, i really do hope the ab's clear it up!

Catsey Veteran

04-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #26

Thanks Lynz

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
04-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #27

awww poor tom shelley, i hope he picks up xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #28

Poor Tom and poor you too. Fingers crossed the antibiotics work. He sounds to be a stoic little man.

Hugs from us xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
05-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #29

sorry to hear it's been a struggle the last day or so. Hope that the AB injection helps matter and he's soon eating properly again.

Catsey Veteran

05-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #30

Not been a good day for Tom and consequently us. Up untill about 7.00 tonight he hadn't been able to eat and had only sips of milk and water. He has lain on the drive all day. We had thought maybe we would have to call the vet out tomorrow.
However at 7.00 he came inside and ate some chicken and i managed to get his tablets into him with the food.He also ate a small amount of some new catfood i have just bought and drank some cat milk. We willjust have to wait and see, any time we get with him will be a bonus.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and good wishes.