Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
24-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #51

Re: 1 year old baby with kidney failure :'(

Awww thanks everyone Got home from work and Charlie was waiting by the door for me so I took him out for a little walk in the sunshine, he rolled around in the garden happily... before coming in for yet more food! I'm so happy to see he is feeling a bit better.

Can I ask, I am thinking about asking my vet for a copy of Charlie's test results so I can do some research to find out more about how bad his conditino is - I wondered is this a normal thing to ask a vet or will they just refuse?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #52

glad Charlie is feeling better Sarah.
If you want the test results then you should certainly ask for them, after all you are a customer.
Whether they are keen to let you have them will be interesting to see.

Catsey Senior

24-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #53

Thanks for that Shelley Well I've just actually spoken to my local vet who were really lovely and said that if we transfer to them Charlie *might* not need to have further tests as they can request Charlie's history and urine/blood test results from the other practice. I have absolutely no idea why it didn't occur to me that this could be done! So anyway to cut a long story short I have transfered over to the local vet (who I know is well recommended). Spoke to the old vet who were really nice about it and are going to fax over all of Charlie's notes and test results.

We have an appointment tomorrow, so I'll take a list of all the medication Charlie is on as well I think.... I know Elaine isn't convinced about my current vet and to be honest I'm not entirely confident about her either, she didn't seem very sure of what she was doing so I'm feeling really pleased to be with someone new.

Also the very fact that we will clearly be heading back and forth to the vet more often means that a more local vet is much more practical

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #54

sounds good Sarah, i'm sure they will let you see the test results but will probably want to explain them to you so it is clear.
I didn't know vets could request notes from other practices, thanks for sharing that.

Catsey Senior

24-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #55

Oh I'm so glad it's not just me being silly then, as it also hadn't occurred to me that we could transfer notes from one practice to another - so pleased!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #56

Glad that the vet transfer will be smooth for both yours and Charlie's sake. Hope you feel more confident with your new person.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
24-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #57

Glad he is wee bit better. When we changed vets (we moved) our new vets requested Katies old records because of her renal disease.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
24-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #58

also glad he is more himself today! hoping the new vet proves more confident than your old one!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #59

Am pleased you have found a new vet and one which is closer. I usually advise people to either ask for a copy of the blood tests results or to write them down as it can very helpful for you to then read up and learn about the condition. The more clued up you become the more confident you will be at asking the apropriate questions and the more confident you will become at monitoring and assesing how Charlie is yourself.

You are your cats best advocate, you know him better than any vet.

I am not confident with your current vet, I am not confident because they havent even been able to tell you exactly what kind of renal insufficiency your cat has. For a vet just to tell an owner that their cat has renal failure is not enough as there are many different kidney issues and you need to know exactly which one you are dealing with in order to get him the right treatment.

I am very happy that Charlie has a spring in his step again and that he is eating well but you still need to know what you are dealing with incase of relapse. Hopefully that wont happen. I am just one of these people who simply must try to find the answers to my animals health and behaviours.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25488

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=38055

Catsey Senior

25-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #60

hmmm right well we have been for our appointment with the new vet and she was WONDERFUL! Absolutely lovely, she was not wishy washy, she explained everything she was doing and told me all about CRF and ARF and basically she was far more on the ball and 'this is what's happening' that the other vet. She is not convinced at all by the other vets' diagnosis and has redone a full blood test and urine test and is going to call me later to let me know the results.

Elaine, as you have said all along, she told me that this would absolutely have been ACUTE renal failure as it came on so dramatically and Charlie should absolutely have been put on an IV drip... however she also said that IF he had ARF then he should not be with us right now, hence she feels something has been missed and consequently wanted to do all the tests again.

So.. of course I thought this was an excellent idea so I'm sitting tight and waiting for more results!

my goodness my credit card has taken a HUGE whack - £500 this week! Well you can't put a price on our beautiful kitties but I'll be sure to take out pet insurance after all this!!!!!!

Right.... off to collect my children from school and to wait for those results.....