Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #21

Re: Cute Kittens

I agree with what Yola has said about a catsey charter, wasnt there something in the rules a while back that was supposed to stop people bragging about indiscriminate breeding, hence the breeders forum part. It was once written that no kitten pics were to be posted unless rescue related or something, I'm sure I remember something like that anyway.
I'm not against the "educating folk" thing but it takes too bloody long and many of these people are grown adults who should be researching the pros and cons of breeding before letting their own selfish wants get in the way.
I was also quite angry at the way many catsey members support rescue and indeed know only too well of all the disaster stories but will continue to coo over these poor raped cats and their offspring. We need to be consistant while trying to educate surely. I am therefore not having a pop at any one particular person but many.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
16-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Before this debate gets too heated, let's take a moment to think guys. Yes, there are far too many people who breed their cats, and do so without thought, which angers us all. However, going full guns against someone for doing so usually doesn't work, it just p's them off and they then depart the forum none the wiser. Is it not better to educate in a calm, controlled manner? After all, the average man on the street has no idea about the number of cats in rescue, or the number PTS each year due to infection and disease.

I fully agree with having something in a Catsey Charter to state that we are a pro rescue, anti breeding forum. But if someone finds us with a cat already pregnant, then yes it may be a case of shutting the stable door etc, but if it
prevents another litter in the future, then surely it is better for us as a forum to try and show someone the error of their ways in a calm way than sending them off in a strop knowing no better
Yes, I think you are right. I have friends involved in cat rescue as i am in dogs & it wasnt until i got my own cats & came in a cat forum i realised the extent of the problems that exist.

People need to learn & who better to teach than those with experience

Catsey Veteran

16-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet.Tears
Question answered.
What was the question and where was it answered?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
16-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #24

There was no question asked Elaine, I quoted #12 completely in my reply at #13

#12 was then edited

Catsey Veteran

16-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #25

Quote:
An unsuitable owner is someone who does not provide care (feeding etc), vet treatment when needed, appaling conditions as to which an animal lives.
And also one who indiscriminately breeds and adds to an already huge problem of overpopulation imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
I see where you're coming from Alexgirl but this breeder already has 7 cats, lives on the top floor of a block of flats, has bred from one of her cats because she said she wanted to, and now states that she may keep the litter until they've been neutered. Frankly I'd like to see some evidence that she is aware that she has made a huge mistake and that her actions are not in the animals' best interests. This isn't a case of a cat escaping from the house and accidentally getting pregnant (although that shouldn't happen either)
I would agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
There was no question asked Elaine, I quoted #12 completely in my reply at #13

#12 was then edited
That explaines my confusion then. xxx

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
16-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #26

I read somewhere kittens can be speyed/neutered at 12 weeks... Surely that can't be right can it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
16-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #27

yes they can, and many vets do this at these ages, but you should check with your own vet, and have it done AS SOON as he says it can be.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
16-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #28

Quote:
I read somewhere kittens can be speyed/neutered at 12 weeks... Surely that can't be right can it?
I would ask your vet about this when you see him/her about spaying the mum.

Catsey Veteran

16-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #29

Quote:

Why are you posting that here in the debates section? If you are not contributing to the current debate then p0lease start a new thread with your questions.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
16-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Why are you posting that here in the debates section? If you are not contributing to the current debate then p0lease start a new thread with your questions.
No need to jump. Surely a debate like this should have questions like that asked and answered. How will people learn if not form asking?

Not sure about a charter. I have done a little with CP and a local lady who catches neuters/spays and then release ferals. But I am not sure I would want to sign up to an "interent" forum charter. What use would it be would it top people having litter no but it might turn them "against asking for help advice" I am not sure. I like the idea Mrs H's post 14, regarding policy of litters. But what about the time we have all spent cooing over Moli's, Smudgley's Alex's, and yes even my rescue kittens/litters would they be banned too?

If we become to draconian will we alienate those we hope to "enlighten"????