Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
29-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #11

Re: Book recommendations

Oh dear. TTW out as a film? I can't see how on earth that will transfer to film and if done by Hollywood will probably be interpreted crassly. I shall wait to see the reviews.

I LOVE reading these threads but am not really in a position to comment as I just haven't got reading time. I liked Johanna Harris' Blackberry Wine and Chocolat however her Five Quarters of the Orange is a truly superb and haunting book which we have and I've re-read several times.

I have just started reading 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being' by Milan Kundera. I saw the film many years ago with Daniel Day Lewis and it was such a touching, yet troubled love story . . . quite raunchy in places too as I remember. However from what I can see so far, the book delves much more deeply into the philosophy of opposites and contradictions that are suggested during the film.

I shall take this and Suite Francaise to Italy with me and maybe pick up some fluffy chick lit at the airport. Any recommendations for a feel-good girlie read anyone??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #12

I too liked Blackberry Wine - I loved the idea of the old man and his packets of rare seeds and the talking bottles! Also liked Five Quarters which was totally different. Did not like Holy Fools and haven't read Coastliners. I think her first book was Sleep, Pale Sister. Lucky you to have met her, DM.

Yola - not sure I'd call it chick lit, but I loved Miss Garnet's Angel by Salley Vickers (whom I have met!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
29-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #13

Oh you celebrity hobnobbing pair you LOL

Angie, that looks like a reflective book which might just fit the mood of my hols . . . thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #14

I cannot imagine TTW as a film!

Recent reads:

The Color of Magic - Terry Pratchett

Very funny! If you enjoy fantasy, especially sword and sorcery, do read this hysterical spoof of the genre, It had me ROTFL in some scenes, particularly Hrun the Barbarian's description of his job as a Hero! ***

Shanghai Girls - Lisa See

A serious book, two sisters in China at the time of the Japanese invasion in 1935 are forced into arranged marriages. Their struggles t escape the invasion and get to San Francisco are horrendous and a bit graphic. And their consequent lives in Gold Mountain (The US) taught me a lot I never knew about the Chinese Exclusion Act and the open blatant prejudice that was rife at the time. A bit embarrassing to this American. The interactions between the characters are well writen; must say I did not like the ending. ***

Yola: chick lit? The latest Jodi Picault?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
29-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Recent reads:

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

A graduate history student staying in her long closed family home over the Summer while she's trying to decide on a dissertation theme becomes involved in looking for a book...flashbacks between the Salem witch trials in 1631 and the present. Interesting characters, good read, alhough the presence of actual witchcraft at the conclusion was a bit off-putting . When reading fantasy or sci-fi I expect something like that, but slightly startling in a regular novel. ***

The Pact - Jodi Picault

I know, potboiler chick lit, but a good Summer beach read. Take one middle class family or single parent, throw in a horrendous medical/ethical/moral situation, shake well and serve! This one is about a teenage suicide pact ....or is it? The courtroom scenes were excellent. Didn't like the ending. **

Medusa - Clive Cussler

He, with his associates, really writes the same book over and over also. An upcoming deadly threat to the US or the world; only the brilliant minds at NUMA can save us! This time it's an ancient virus, the Chinese are the villians, and the usual swashbuckling derring-do above and below the sea! That said, an enjoyable read, passed the time. **

Year of Wonder - Gealdine Brooks

Give this one 4 stars!
A fictional retelling of a true story: a small mining village in 1666, the year of the Plague. The inhabitants voluntarily closed themselves off from the outside world when the plague struck. It's told from the viewpoint of a young widow overeducated for her social class who works for the Vicar. It can be a bit graphic in spots of you're squeamish, but a very well written story of what can happen to people's faith, relationships and the social order in such circumstances.
Have to agree - great book

Catsey Veteran

30-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I cannot imagine TTW as a film!

Recent reads:

The Color of Magic - Terry Pratchett

Very funny! If you enjoy fantasy, especially sword and sorcery, do read this hysterical spoof of the genre, It had me ROTFL in some scenes, particularly Hrun the Barbarian's description of his job as a Hero! ***
I love Terry Pratchett's books. Have only actually read a couple - though listened to several on the radio. Always have me in stitches. I must read some more! Thanks for reminding me Eileen - always a good read to bring on the laughter.

Catsey Veteran

30-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #17

Onekidney, who doesn't post much, recommended this author ...I've read the one about the gang of cats (name escapes me), very funny; and The Color of Magic. apparently he's not as popular here in the States, unfortunately, as the library doesn't have many titles. Will give Amazon a look-see for cheap used copies.

Catsey Veteran

30-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #18

I don't know why TP isn't more popular in USA - he has written a huge number of books - there is a bibliography on this site that will amaze you!

Catsey Veteran

12-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #19

You may know this, but there is a new Kathy Reichs out, "206 Bones". Just got it at the library this morning. Is anyone going to read Dan Brown's latest? It's set here in my home town.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
12-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #20

Didn't know there was a new Kathy Reichs out Thanks DM, and I'll probably get round to reading Dan Browns new one at some point lol.

I have just finished reading 'The five people you meet in Heaven' by Mitch Albom. Quite a simple book but I found it a very good read. My 12 year old is now reading it lol, after I got her hooked on 'adult' books by giving her 'The Lovely Bones' to read and 'The curious incident of the dog in the night time' by Mark Haddon (which incidentally has become a favourite of mine, written in a very different way from the norm).