Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #1

Quiet Tuesday daily thread

I'm starting today's daily as penance for absence! We lunched with my mum and sis and bil on Sunday and I spent all of yesterday on the allotment. It was lovely and the place was bustling with those people fortunate enough to be able to spend day time there. It is a shame that some can only get there on weekends at this time of year. We really should put the clocks forward mid-February.

So, it's an 'attend to the inside of the house' day today. The weather doesn't look as promising as yesterday, which was certainly spring sunshine, but there is no rain forecast. It is still pretty wet underfoot in some areas, so we can manage without rain for now.

Hope everyone has a nice day

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
24-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #2

Re: Quiet Tuesday daily thread

Morning!

I'll be off to the hairdresser in about an hour, my hair grows very quickly but it's getting rather expensive keeping the grey disguised especially now I'm a pensioner!

We had a bit of a lie-in this morning, one of the cats was scratching at the bedroom door at 7.10, for once the dog was silent. He was lying in the hall, looking guilty. No wonder! OH hadn't secured the stair gate and at some point the dog had got to the half-landing, scoffed what remained of the cats' supper (probably quite a bit as they like to finish it off during the night) and he'd also chewed up a couple of their toys, including Molly's beloved little white mouse that was in the Felix kitten pack that they got more than 3 years ago.

Poor Molly loved that mouse even though it was a bit tatty and she'd nibbled away the ears and tail. I'll have to pop into the pet shop and try to find her something similar.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
24-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #3

Morning all!

Was about to leave the house for work today when all the power went out. Pulled out 10 tonnes of cr*p from the cupboard to find the fuse board only to discover it wasn't a tripped switch. After talking to neighbours and calling the Electricity Board turns out we have a power cut due to someone damaging a main cable So I guess that's an "exciting" start to the day?!

The lovely, spring-like sunny weather has been replaced by a cold, damp mist today which I'm not too impressed about. Also feeling really, really tired this morning; not sure why. Need to get a very early night tonight (so far haven't had a day off in 9 days so that could be the reason for sleepiness!)

Have decided the flat will need a proper spring clean soon, in the next few weeks. The cat hair is just building and building. I've done my best to hoover and dust and stay on top of it but its stuck on inside of curtains, underneath the dining table, under the bed... Darcy is very good at not moulting and is quite short haired but Stravinsky has a lot more hair and moults all the time. I'm dreading the actual moulting season but have my Furminator at the ready!

Can anyone recommend a good clothes brush for cat hairs? Or any tips for keeping house and clothes cat-hair free? I have Yola in mind as you have your long-haired pusses so may have some miracle tips?

DM I agree about putting clocks forward! The lighter mornings and evenings have helped improved my general mood immensely!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
24-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #4

Morning ladies!

OH was off to the allotment at 7am this morning as the shed was being delivered and erected (all-in price). We now have a lovely, sloping-roofed shed which I shall paint cream/eau-de-nil at the weekend He said it was so peaceful down there that he was really tempted to stay and dig the soil. I can see this becoming seriously addictive!

My headache is gone and I'm feeling much brighter today. Nothing much going on, more of the same in the office I'm afraid! There's got to be more to life that this

Catsey Veteran

24-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #5

Ah - the allotment shed!
Our site is just in the final i-dotting and t-crossing stage of getting permissions. We will have to use a slabbed base and a maintenance-free metal shed. is yours wooden Yola? Despite the metal-ness I have plans to paint mine in my own choice too. Maybe paint a 'border' of flowers round the bottom?
Here's a gardening quote from Alan Titchmarsh, who isn't my favourite role model, but I think he states it perfectly

Titchmarsh – not for nothing called Britain's Favourite Gardener – has always been a great evangelist for the value of digging, growing and nurturing. "I've no doubt we become better people through gardening," he says, "because there is such an ease about it all, and if when I shuffle off this mortal coil I have left a bit of the earth in better heart because of my being here, then that has to be a good thing."

So - I'm sure your allotment will be a boon to you both Yola. The advantage is that, although there is always something needing to be done, it's not sitting there looking at you reproachfully from outside your kitchen window.

Catsey Veteran

24-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #6

It's a bit like this DM . . . http://www.summergardenbuildings.co....d-2008062.html but with the door on the end. It comes with a workbench inside also. So all ready to roll so to speak. And yes, we put a slab base down. There were other bods putting their sheds on pallet bases but OH thinks that these will rot too quickly.

It's a nice robust shed which will hopefully last a good few years

Catsey Veteran

24-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #7

Ah yes - I left one of those behind at our last house. I really liked it, and used the large windows as a psuedo-greenhouse, for raising seedlings.

You'll be pleased you've used slabs when the rodents start finding their way under the buildings and into the compost heaps One of the downsides .....

Catsey Veteran

24-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #8

We have rabbits aparently . . . hence lots of chicken wire fencing will be buried a foot down around the perimeter . . . off to start my 'allotment chronicles' thread now . . .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
24-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #9

Afternoon all,

Im really tired today, been to work this morn and now im just pondering about the house...

My parents are going on holiday tomorrow (I cant wait hehe) quietness at last!

Cant wait to have pancakes after either mmmm.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #10

I took Merlin to the vet this morning for his bi-monthly check up. He is doing really well, all things considered. He has lost a bit more weight and he is still anaemic. But his heart is good, no signs of racing - thyroid appears normal. We know his kidneys are not in excellent shape. He had his Vit B injection and a little something to help his appetite, although as I have said before, he is eating really quite well since I found the Sainsbury's Perfectly Meaty trays. Merlin's vet was pleased with us both and complimentary which was nice. Merlin was reasonably well behaved and didn't yell with the injection.

After I'd got him home and given him some more food, he climbed up to his favourite day time place to sleep (the back of the sofa in the front window), which is where we found him after we came back from a walk. OH,MIL (in her w/chair) and I went for a walk along the promenade at Bognor Regis. Both OH and I grew up in Bognor, as did my mum. I am very glad I don't live there any more. Seems very seedy - quite a bit of new building the styles of which argue with each other. Some of the buildings that went up 30 odd years ago look very tatty but I suppose the sea air doesn't help.

I don't actually miss not being so near the sea. I used to have recurring nightmares about flooding, but have never had such dreams again since we moved.

A very grey overcast day - it was difficult to tell where the sea ended and the sky began. Would have looked nicer if the sun had been shining.