Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #1

Tracing Family History

Thought I better explain why I've been missing and not posting much over the weekend - OH and I have a new hobby - tracing our respective family history online.

Although OH knew 3 of his grandparents, all I knew about mine were their names. My mum talked a lot about her mother, whom she adored, but gave me little factual information about her. Her parents were separated and her father was never much mentioned in the family. All I knew about my father's parents were their names and the town they lived in.

The whole thing is most terribly addictive - you can spend hours looking through indexes etc and then suddenly it's time to go and get the supper. We both feel well and truly like detectives. All that was needed was the magnifying glass, the bloodhound and the deerstalker

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone else on the forum who is interested or has undertaken any research relating to their own families.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
23-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #2

Re: Tracing Family History

Angie, this is really interesting!

At Christmas time at home my dad pulled out an old suitcase that belonged to his Grandmother with lots of old, old photos dating back to the Victorian time. He also has an album that contains letters written by his great, great, great Grandfather during the First World War. He was german but lived in the UK and so was sent to one of the Islands in a kind of no-mans land. All fascinating.

My dad's dad actually disappeared when he was 2. His mum told him he'd died, but my dad after research suspects he off and left for Canada, so I may have some distant relatives out there!

What site are you using Angie? I tried one and was a bit bamboozled...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #3

I tried a few of the sites, and found them pretty confusing and difficult to use. Problem is, I have very little information other than names; don't know when they emigrated or which port the arrived at. When I was young I wasn't interested in "that old stuff"; now that I'd like to know more, everyone is dead! No one to ask! About all I know is that my Dad's family was from Burton-on-Trent.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
23-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #4

Maybe you should get a bloodhound puppy Angie
I'd like to find out more about my family, love the tv programme with the celebrities. A lot of my mum's family are Scottish/Irish, my great grandad was a vet in Edinburgh but that's about all I know.

Catsey Veteran

23-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #5

Your comments do bring into focus just how important it is for parents to tell their children at least some basic facts about grandparents. I was very lucky - when I was a young teenager I had a favourite uncle on my mum's side of the family, who was her older brother and the eldest boy in the family (6 children). I expressed an interest in the family history and he wrote it all down for me - that's the only way that I actually know that particular line back to 1550 or thereabouts.

The rest is only just becoming known.

OH and I are using Ancestry.co.uk - so far we just have the 14 day trial. It is expensive, but otherwise of course, you'd have to visit Records Offices and churches around the country to progress your research. I have ordered marriage certificates and so has OH, so we can try and get a handle on the matriarchal lines.

Goodness Eileen - I hadn't realised that your family came from UK - at least not as recently as your father. It's sad that you don't know much about them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
23-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #6

I started researching my family tree a couple of years ago and managed to get back to 1790's with most lines. All I had to start me off were a few half-remembered bits of information my mother mentioned years ago. Census records are fascinating to read, I could hardly believe how many children some of them had! I sent off for a few marriage certificates etc once I was sure I was on the right track and they gave me maiden names and fathers' names and occupations.

I've not done it in a hugely thorough way though, I haven't visited county record offices for example, I've done it all over the internet. I'd love to check local newspaper archives and coroner's records but they're not online and I don't live anywhere near the areas I need to research. My great great grandmother died in 1880 when the bedding caught fire as a result of her smoking her pipe in bed, and my great grandmother died in 1947 at the age of 104, I'm sure these events must have been covered by the local paper!

I hope you have fun in your research. I use the Ancestry site mainly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
23-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #7

Isn't it great fun. I love adding bits and pieces to my 'tree'.

Also quite sad at times - a whole line of my family were wiped out by TB in the 1850's.

I haven't used internet much but go to the general registrars in Edinburgh. Look at registrations, census, old parish records and land registries etc. Been doing this for around 8 years. I am so addicted and often do other peoples searches too. Usually go about 6 times a year.

My family are half Scottish/half Irish. Will probably need to go over to Ireland at some point and do the churches/graveyards.

So far have got back to 1754. Liberated a couple of really interesting skeletons from cupboards and still cannot find my paternal grandfathers marriage or birth (another skeleton perhaps!)

Best advice is note everything down. Even the stuff that is wrong. This will save you going into records over and over again. As your tree grows so will the dead ends and you'll find you look at the same things.

I am going back to Edinburgh in March. If any of you have a scottish query I am more than happy to help out - just drop me a pm. It is no bother and only takes a few minutes the way it is set up and I love to play detective with these records.

Good luck angieh - I'm sure you'll become addicted very quickly. Keep us posted.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #8

My Mom does it and thoroughly enjoys it......she is right back to God knows where...........but miles back. One of her uncles emigrated to Canada and has family there out on a little island...can't recall the name but she is trying to trace them as obviously her Uncle is dead and the only contact the family in Canada had was his sister my Great Auntie Nellie.....but she died and I think they have moved.....so Mom is trying via the museum curator on the island....he is trying to track them down....

Catsey Veteran

23-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #9

Amazing how our various interests come together here on Catsey!

OH has Scottish ancestors CM, so I'll see if he would like to take up your kind offer. Will you be going early, mid or late March-ish???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Your comments do bring into focus just how important it is for parents to tell their children at least some basic facts about grandparents. I was very lucky - when I was a young teenager I had a favourite uncle on my mum's side of the family, who was her older brother and the eldest boy in the family (6 children). I expressed an interest in the family history and he wrote it all down for me - that's the only way that I actually know that particular line back to 1550 or thereabouts.

The rest is only just becoming known.

OH and I are using Ancestry.co.uk - so far we just have the 14 day trial. It is expensive, but otherwise of course, you'd have to visit Records Offices and churches around the country to progress your research. I have ordered marriage certificates and so has OH, so we can try and get a handle on the matriarchal lines.

Goodness Eileen - I hadn't realised that your family came from UK - at least not as recently as your father. It's sad that you don't know much about them.
Oh sorry, I wasn't clear: my Dad was born here in Worcester, Mass. in 1897; I think my Grandfather was also born here, but may be wrong there. My Mom's ancestors came from County Mayo in Ireland, and from Germany (think it was the Black Forest area. )

You sound as if you're having great fun with your search!