Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #1

Reality Show???

Reading Mags' post about Jade made me wonder: would you appear on a reality show if offered the opportunity?

I wouldn't, not for any amount of money!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #2

Re: Reality Show???

I'm with you Eileen - generally I loathe them and certainly wouldn't want to share my weaknesses with the world.

I used to quite enjoy a series of documentaries called "Seven Up" about the lives of individuals starting with 7 year olds, then 14, 21 etc. It started in 1963, when I myself was only 11. Some dropped out along the way - they were from all different walks of life (or classes as they were called in those days!)

See this link.

Hooray! it worked!!!

Catsey Veteran

14-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #3

Thanks for that link (and congrats getting it to work!), it was a very interesting article, read it all with interest. I'd watch a documentary like that; dislike reality shows and never watch.

I cannot imagine getting on TV in front of millions of viewers and making a fool of myself! Guess this was a Kazz type question, but since Kazz is off now..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
14-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #4

There's no way I'd go on a reality show (or any other type of tv show.) I value my privacy far too much to expose myself (bad choice of word, I don't mean THAT sort of exposure!!) in public.

Catsey Veteran

15-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #5

I know exactly what you mean, MrsH. I''m a rather shy person and would abhor that sort of publicity. Obviously, many don't .......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
15-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #6

Never, ever, ever in a million years. Not even as a vox pop in a news snippet. Never. It's on a par with selling your soul to the devil and yet, if we are to believe what we hear, the ambition of most children now is not to be a train driver, or a nurse or a fireman - they want to be famous!

I agree with angie - the 7-up programme was fascinating. There was a follow up fairly recently, after a break (lots of the original participants refused to continue though) - I'm not sure whether they might have been 49? Now that was a very interesting project, non-exploitative, almost a piece of social history/research.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #7

I shudder at the thought of it .....it would be one of my worst nightmares!

My only claim to public 'exposure' was having my photo in the local newspaper when I was 15. My school's "H.A.G.S Association (Historical & Geographical Society) were on our way to a skiing holiday in Switzerland and a press photographer took a photo of me and my friend holding skis at Victoria Station..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
15-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #8

Totally agree with you all. I couldn't do it not for any amount of money.

I have problems giving anyone I don't know personal info, never mind the nation!!!!

I wonder sometimes if the participants realise that not only will the programme be edited to make viewing more 'interesting' but they are being exploited to improve ratings and viewing figures.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
15-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #9

The 7up programme was indeed fascinating, I wouldn't really class that in the same vein as the 'Big Brother' type shows we have now. I loathe them and would never, ever appear in one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #10

I have been thinking about the differences between the 7 up type documentaries and the Big Brother type show. There certainly is a difference now, but don't you think that was the beginning of the so-called reality show?

I think I would actually argue that "reality shows" aren't reality at all - they are something else that is really much nastier.