Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggys
12-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #1

Help Ticks

this evening i was brushing my cat and realised she has about 20-30 tickes all over her head. i cant understand why because i use frontline every 2 months which is surposed to help this problem from happening.i think ive removed most of them.has anyone any suggestions as to how to get rid of them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
13-11-2005, 12:43 AM   #2

Re: Help Ticks

nope sorry, i thought front line should keep them off

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-11-2005, 10:07 AM   #3

Ooooh, poor you and poor baby.
That is a lot of ticks - they will have taken a lot of blood and maybe put in some nasty 'bugs' so I'd keep a good eye on her for a few days.

Sounds like you need to give her a good Frontlining - put a good spray on your rubber gloves and rub all round her muzzle and face and ears.

If you've a strong infestation around you (we do too at this time - I think it's as the deer move around more for their rutting) perhaps you should treat her a little more often than the bottle suggests.

Good luck, let us know.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
13-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #4

Last year we found a few dead hedgehogs in our garen, all within a few days of each other.The dog & cats investigated & the dog had about 30 fleas on her ears (nowhere else) & one of my cats had about 30-40 ticks, only on her face, neck, muzzle & front paws. Some were great big "daddy ticks" & some were teeny weeny "baby ticks". We sat with Emily (luckily she's very good & will sit patiently) on our lap & picked off each & every one with a tick remover - (ones from Mikki are excellent-don't cost much) then we frontline sprayed her.

The most important thing is to a) remove them all & b) remove them properly - they can cause nasty infections if part of them is left in.

This did the trick & we've never seen a tick since (touch wood)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #5

I remember the hedgehog incident Smudgely. Did you ever recieve an explanation?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
13-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #6

No - Defra came & took away the 4 dead hedgehogs & said they would tell us results of PM's but never did, so we pressumed they were not poisoned - although some people have suggested they may have eaten too many apples that had fallen on the floor & got poisoned by the apples

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggys
13-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #7

thanks everyone i think i have removed them all and i shall keep an eye on her to make sure none of them get infected ive smothered her in the frontline spray which she wasn`t happy about but its better than having ticks.i will just have to see how she gets on if not it could be a trip to the vets.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-11-2005, 08:25 PM   #8

Let's hope that did the trick Whiskey......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
13-11-2005, 08:32 PM   #9

arrghhhh Ticks, they make me shudder, I remember finding one in my compost heap once.... yuck!!!

Keeping my fingers crossed for your Whiskey that your cat gets no more.