Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

19-10-2005, 08:56 AM   #1

Read any good books lately?

I've been looking for a good book for ages, I have loads at home that I haven't read yet but none seems to capture my imagination at the moment. Any recommendations?

I've also had Phillip Pullmans Dark Materials trilogy sat on my bookshelf for a while, I've heard good things about it, anyone here read it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
19-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #2

Re: Read any good books lately?

To be honest I hardly ever read novels. Books that interest me are factual books........

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
19-10-2005, 03:11 PM   #3

erm... I'm reading a few books on programming languages if thats any good Purity

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
19-10-2005, 07:17 PM   #4

I recommend the Brian Lumleys series of books - Necroscope - FANTASTIC!!!!! really good books

20-10-2005, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az
erm... I'm reading a few books on programming languages if thats any good Purity
Sounds about as much fun as my Advanced Taxation books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm
I recommend the Brian Lumleys series of books - Necroscope - FANTASTIC!!!!! really good books
I've heard them mentioned before, I may have to buy one and find out!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
20-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #6

buy them all - they are very addictive!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
20-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #7

I've just finished reading 'Rosie' by Alan Titchmarsh. Found it hard to put down

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #8

I'm reading The 2.5 Pillars of Wisdom by Alexander McCall Smith. It's not great. I enjoyed the Ladies detective Agency books in a 'nice and light, good holiday read' way but I'm not very gripped by this one.

OH got me Rick Stein's French Odyssey cook/travel book (companion to the TV series) and am enjoying looking at that and salivating at the scenery and dishes!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #9

Well I've just re-read "The short works of Jack London" and really enjoyed it.

Plus have finally got round to reading "The good women of China" By Xinran Published by Hidden Voices. This is an extraordinary book, from the hidden deep heart of China"
This is part how it describes itself.

"For eight groundbreaking years. Xinran presented a radio programme in China during which she invited Women to call and talk about themselves. Broadcast every evening, Words on the Night Breeze became famous throughout the country for its unflinching portrayal of what it meant to be a woman in modern china. Centuries of obedience to their fathers, husbands and sons, followed years of political turnoil had made women terrified of talking openly about their feelings. Xinran won their trust and, through her compassion and ability to listen, became the first woman to hear their true stories.
This unforgetable book is a stoy of how Xinran negotiated the minefield of restrictions imposed on Chinese journalists to reach out to women across the country. Through the vivid intimacy of her writing, the women's voices confide in the reader, sharing their deepest secrets for the first time. Their stories changed Xinran's understanding of China forever and her book will reveal the lives of Chinese women to the West as never before"

Honestly I have to say this is a mind opening read - a book I did not put down till I'd finished. Karen

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
20-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purity
Sounds about as much fun as my Advanced Taxation books!

eek! I must be a geek! (I was actually enjoying the one Im on at present )