Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
12-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #11

Re: Funny thing about me and dogs

Angie, I think you will get a deeper bond with him as he grows up and you are able to do more together. I'm just as bonded to Darcy as I am Imogen but we have different relationships! Imogen is my little cuddle monster and I love to have her snuggled up on the sofa/bed with me, she follows me around the house and catches bugs for me! I love how beautiful and poised (most of the time!) she is.
With Darcy, I love having her to go on long walks with, I love to see just how much fun she finds in everything, the whole world is like a playground It's lovely to see the efforts I put in to her training pay off and watch her come back to me across the field, ears flapping and a smile on her face!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #12

I am I think as equally a cat person as dog. But cats filled gaps in y life when I could not have a dog (working full time, flat. long hours alone) cats were the answer.
But I have been brought up with dogs and like the and understand them.

However I have said before I am sure, I do not like puppies but like dogs same with kittens though less so.....as they are not such hard work as puppies. I realise, pups are a neccesary evil to get the dog I love. Everytime I get a pup I wonder what I have done, but the "sense of duty" in being good to them is soon replaced by "something else" and lasts their lfetime and more.
I wonder if you are in fact feeling a little guilty bringing Monty in, as he is in fact disrupting a calm, sedate household. I think you will find that he will grow on you dogs are simply different, and although you think you are not bonding in truth Monty will soon let you know if you are not.

Once read this and it summed it up
Dogs......live to please you. Cats live to be pleased by you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #13

Thanks for your comments and observations - I have found all of your insights very reassuring. I do like little Monty when he is being a good boy and I look forward to being able to go out walking with him and OH.

He was such a very good boy at the vet this morning. He made a friend of the very nice kind vet who distracted him with puppy treats whilst she gave him him 2nd jab and his kennel cough vaccine. Monty couldn't have been a more well behaved puppy and I felt proud of him.

Elaine - you asked a very valid question and the answer is that really we got a dog for my OH. He loves dogs and already dotes on Monty. Monty is generally better behaved for him than for me and the two are establishing a great relationship and respect for each other. That's wonderful - I am only a backup carer!

It's the defiant behaviour that gets me worked up - but I expect that will lessen with work and training and as he grows older. I do agree with Kazz - we should have looked for a dog rather than a puppy but we decided that we wanted a dog that didn't come with baggage and so went for a puppy.

It's great that I feel I can honestly say about my feelings towards Monty here and know that you lot understand and can give positive replies. Thanks - means a lot to me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #14

I had that feeling of "what have I done", when I got Maggie...I had 2 very well behaved socialable staffies, who were not problems whatsoever..Then I got this little pup...I remembering sitting with her one morning at 2 oclock, I housetrained during the night..she was fast asleep on my knee, I was so tired....It took about 2 weeks before she could go through the night....
What you are feeling is quite normal...we all think it at some time....
Maggie now is a fantastic dog, no problem at all.....I am sure little Monty will be the same...

Catsey Veteran

12-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #15

It's so reassuring to know that experienced dog owners can feel like that .... thanks Moli!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #16

What do you mean when you say he is being naughty, what exactly is he doing?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
12-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #17

I adore dogs and cats, I need to have both as they are so different and compliment each other. I love the welcome I get from the dogs when I come in and taking them for walks. However, I love to have a cat on my lap as I watch TV, very therapetic! It can sometimes take time to bond with a pet, especially if they have some problems/issues. when we first got Caleb, our dog, he was hyper, chased the cats, chewed things, wasn't toilet trained, etc. He was 9 months old. He will be 6 this month and I can honestly say I love that dog with all my heart, he is the most gentle, loving boy ever. I guess what I am trying to say is, give it time and expect different things from a dog than a cat. I don't consider myself either only a dog or cat person - I love them both equally - for different reasons.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #18

I'm sure as he gets older and less mischeivous, things will get better between you.
Are you going to puppy classes with him?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #19

I know what you mean about feeling that you've disrupted a very happy household. It'll never go back to what it was before but will emerge differently ... from what everyone says it will probably be very good. And it's excellent that Monty is bonding with OH!

Catsey Veteran

12-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
What do you mean when you say he is being naughty, what exactky is he doing?
At the moment the worst thing he is doing is nipping at our ankles and biting the bottom of our trouser legs and growling while he does it. No amount of saying NO stops him. I've just had to call Time Out and shut him in the kitchen - he's actually been a good boy most of today.