Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Tortoiseshell Moggy
14-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

Hi All!

Hi Everyone,
My name is Lucy and I have had 3 cats before.
My first cat was an impulse buy, her name was Kia, she was a tortoiseshell moggy bought from a local woman whose cat managed to fall pregnant each time they got off the phone from booking her in for the snip. Kia was a very pretty cat but so strong minded and was a nutter until she was allowed to go out when she calmed down significantly.
While I was living with Kia, I rehomed a cat from a friend of a friend who I named Cody. He found himself more comfortable down the road and when I moved, he stayed with a guy there and is still there now - fickle little thing.
Shortly after moving I lost Kia when she was hit by a car which was absolutely devasting, she was only 18months old at the time but had been my world since she was 9 weeks old.
Later that year my Mum bought me Tinkerbella (hence the username) She is a rescue cat from the cats protection and was the most frightened and timid kitten I have ever known. She is 18 months now and has grown into a beautiful and confident cat. She is 100% Mummys girl but she will actually approach others now which is so impressive looking back at how she was.
I will post some pictures soon so you can see my kittys.

Today I am joining you here for advice.
Last year I fell ill and had to move back to my Mums for support, ofcourse, Tinky in tow! We lived there almost a year with my Mums CollieX Millie and Millie and Tinks grew to be good friends. Since moving into my new flat my partner bought me a puppy. He is harmless but Tinks has been rather miserable.
At first she went off her food and hid lots, she is back on track with a full appetite three weeks later but still very upset with him. We think due to our pups age he just wants to play and this unnerves Tinks. We were prepared for teething problems, however, I am not prepared to allow my cat to live in misery. I know time is the most important factor with these things but how can I help things along.
The dog is not interested in her until she runs from him, he is just nosey. I want her to see that before it is too late, I don't recall it being this way with my Mums dog however, I was mostly on bedrest and it was rare her dog came upstairs so there were clear boundaries.
Fortunately, Tinks is not mad with me and is still the same little kitty she always has been, I just don't want her to go backwards after so much progress.

Anyways, sorry for rambling and giving you my life story.
Talk soon,
Lucy x

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #2

Re: Hi All!

Hi Lucy, a warm welcome to Catsey

If you need help posting your pics, click here

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #3

Hello there! My immediate thought is that you should just make sure that Tinkabella has places to go out of pup's way where she can feel secure. Maybe a room where the pup isn't allowed to go, or a cat tree where she can get herself up high and away from the pup?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
14-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #4

hey there and welcome to catsey

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #5

f Hi and welcome!

As a 100% cat person I've never had this problem, Lucy; but am continually amazed that so many members have successfully integrated a dog into a cat family. I do know it's vital that the cat has a safe place to go to, i.e. a room or cat tree; and that the cat shows early on who is boss. I'm sure someone will be along soon with helpful advice. I look forward to pics ... we do love pics here!

14-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #6

Hi all and thanks for the warm welcome
Angle, Tinks has lots of places to hide where the dog can't get to her, her food is unreachable too. She has a cat post thing too with 3 levels. We also moved her tray, food and water to our bedroom where she feels most comfortable at the moment and the dog is rarely in there.
Thanks
Lucy

14-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #7

Sorry eileen I think you posted as I was typing. Blitz gets told off for shouting at Tinks but if Tinks wants to hiss at him she is allowed, she has given him a few slaps already so he does know not to annoy her, we have let her tell him so he realises she is the boss!
Lucy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #8

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
14-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #9

hi and welcome! hope you find the answers your lookinh for here.