Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
08-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #21

Re: Collars?

Well that lasted long...he went out at about 7:45 this morning, came back various times, then about 9:40 he came in and the collar is gone, great.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-07-2007, 10:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane
Well that lasted long...he went out at about 7:45 this morning, came back various times, then about 9:40 he came in and the collar is gone, great.
Sorry the collar didn't last long but obviously he caught it on something and the safety catch did its job. If it had been a buckle and elastic collar, he may have got himself trapped somewhere and injured himself trying to get free!

I would sooner lose a collar than have a cat injured in some way

Catsey Senior

08-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Sorry the collar didn't last long but obviously he caught it on something and the safety catch did its job. If it had been a buckle and elastic collar, he may have got himself trapped somewhere and injured himself trying to get free!

I would sooner lose a collar than have a cat injured in some way
Yep that's true atleast it did it's job and he's not stuck somewhere being strangled or something. It's just annoying haha :P

Do you think we should buy another?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
08-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #24

I would buy a couple more, I doubt he will lose the second one so quickly, sometimes ours lose theirs and occasionally we or the neighbours find them.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
08-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #25

Did you remove the bell? Some cats absolutely hate the bell and will try and remove every collar they have to get rid of the sound! I have found speaking to quite a few folk about it that it seems to help by removing the bell

Catsey Senior

08-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #26

Yep we did remove the bell before putting it on his so it wouldn't drive him crazy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
09-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #27

my 2 have the elasticated type collars. but today reggie came in,he was all upset crying, he had got a stick caught in the elasticated bit of the collar and couldnt get it out, luckily OH rescued reggie, and with lots of strokes from mummy he was a happy fella again.but just so glad we was about. what if we had gone out for the day??? cant bear to think about it. what i might do is take it off when we are due to go out for the day, n risk them getting ticks n fleas and catching birdies. what am i sposed to do??? hard one that.

Catsey Senior

09-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #28

The elasticated collars can be very dangerous, the ones which are just a strip of a fabric with a breakway clasp are much safer. Have a look at some of the links through this thread

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
09-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys mum
my 2 have the elasticated type collars. but today reggie came in,he was all upset crying, he had got a stick caught in the elasticated bit of the collar and couldnt get it out, luckily OH rescued reggie, and with lots of strokes from mummy he was a happy fella again.but just so glad we was about. what if we had gone out for the day??? cant bear to think about it. what i might do is take it off when we are due to go out for the day, n risk them getting ticks n fleas and catching birdies. what am i sposed to do??? hard one that.

the elasticated collars are so bad for cats - my own cats have been injured by them which is why I will never put one of those types of collars on them again.

If you go to your local pet store you will be able to find cat collars that have the break away buckle these are the safest you can buy (I have noticed some that have the break away buckle and elastic - crazy they are no good!)

To protect your cats from fleas and ticks the best thing you can do is use a spot on treatment

Cats owned: N/A
09-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #30

I have had the same problem. My cat is new to the house, so she cant go outside fopr another 3 weeks atleast. God knows how she has managed to lose he collar! it is somewhere in the house and me and my partner have looked everywhere. It cant be that hard to find as it is illuminous pink. hope we find it before she goes out as it had her name and number on. so im with you on that one hun x x x