Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #11

Re: I'm so upset

That's one of my greatest fears . Elaine, we can all understand how terrible you feel but it was a situation completely outside of your control - not your fault at all. However much you rationalise this though, the guilt will always be there, you just have to keep telling yourself there was nothing you could have done.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #12

*Shudder* - my worst nightmare.
Hope you're feeling a bit better today Elaine. You and cars are not a happy match at the moment.

Is there any way you could get a poster, or notice in the local paper, or postcard in a post office or something, just to give the approximate time and place of the accident? I don't suppose you can even give a colour? However, if you can do something like that, and report to any cats homes etc to whom people migh turn, at least the owner may be put out of the misery of 'wondering'. It's blimmin awful news to hear, but at least they hear it and aren't worrying of the cat being trapped soemwhere, or injured and alone.

Chin up x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
08-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #13

So sorry to hear this Elaine. but please, like the others said, don't beat up on yourself. It was a sad accident and the poor creature would not have known any different.
The circle of life, as they say.
If you have a way of letting the owner know it could be a comfort to you. Try ringing the local vets and letting them know. I think I would ask there if they knew of any accidents that had occured, if I was left wondering.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #14

I understand completely how you feel but there really was nothing you could have done. Nothing any of us can say will take away that sick feeling but you do have all our sympathies and so does the poor cat.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
08-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #15

Oh Elaine I'm sorry to hear this Poor you, but really try and not to feel guilty. If it hadn't been your car, it may have been someone else's; it's not your fault at all. You did the right thing to keep driving, not slow down or turn around.

Once my mum was driving down the dual carriageway with a friend in passenger seat. This friend doesn't drive, never has. A dog runs out onto the road and my mum's friend grabs the wheel and tries to swerve away from the dog. My mum was absolutely terrified, she immediately pulled over into hard shoulder and shouted at the friend to get into the back seat. My mum is a huge animal lover, and like yourself, if possible would do anything to avoid hurting an animal, but she like yourself knows there's nothing you can do in that situation. Thankfully the friend onyl got the whell for a second and my mum kept control mainly, but the accident could have been much worse if not...

Sorry for that random tangent; I guess what I'm trying to say is you the did the best thing you could in a bad situation. I hope you feel better soon.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Flossie
08-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #16

*sends hugs*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
08-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #17

Accidents happen - even ones like those...rest in peace kitty ((hugs))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #18

Elaine you can't blame yourself. It was purely an accident,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
08-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #19

You must be feeling awful, but as everyone has said - you can't blame yourself. It is something I live in dread of and cannot imagine how I would feel.

((((hugs))))

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
08-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #20

So sorry to hear about that elaine, it was just an accident. Sending calming and healing vibes to you.