Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
01-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #21

Re: Veganism

Kim, I agree humans don't have to be omnivores, all I meant was that our bodies are not adapted to live on plant matter alone- we cannot take in or produce enough B12 to be healthy through our lives if we are vegan- without suppliments, and I think if anybody is planning to turn vegan, it is something they should be aware of. I think it is great that people now have a choice and if folk want they can choose any lifestyle and live by their morals healthily.
I too am concerned about how animals are treated in the food chain, I don't think the whole human population will become vegetarian, never mind vegan and because of this think that better ways must be developed to at least give the animals who are farmed as good a life as possible and as humane a death as possible, with as little suffering happening in between.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
01-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
Kim, I agree humans don't have to be omnivores, all I meant was that our bodies are not adapted to live on plant matter alone- we cannot take in or produce enough B12 to be healthy through our lives if we are vegan- without suppliments, and I think if anybody is planning to turn vegan, it is something they should be aware of. I think it is great that people now have a choice and if folk want they can choose any lifestyle and live by their morals healthily.
I too am concerned about how animals are treated in the food chain, I don't think the whole human population will become vegetarian, never mind vegan and because of this think that better ways must be developed to at least give the animals who are farmed as good a life as possible and as humane a death as possible, with as little suffering happening in between.

I definitely agree with this!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
[/b]

I definitely agree with this!!
I think everyone does, Kim! I know I do, omnivore that I am ......

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
02-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #24

I admire vegitarians and to some extent vegans because I wish I had the strength of character to say no to meat but I am weak

I hate the thought of animals being killed and especially the way so many animals are kept and I try to push it to the back of my mind. I have made an attempt to stop in stages i.e. I haven't eaten lamb for a year and hope to move onto other animals in time. I know many vegitarians who are healthy with their diet so it is not strictly necessary to eat dead animals (she says while thinking about having a steak for tea!!).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
02-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #25

Yes, but vegetarians eat eggs, whcih contain B12

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #26

I was a veggie for about 4 years in the early '80's when it wasn't all that easy, especially if you went out for a meal - I was a veggie when I got married and my new OH (same as my old OH!) asked whether he was allowed to eat meat and I said yes, so long as you cook it. When we went on our first self-catering holiday, we even took nut roast and peanut pie with us!!! Later on however he was cunning and the first morning he decided to fry himself some bacon for breakfast I called down to him to ask if he would put a couple of rashers in the pan for me. That was the end of me being a veggie!

I have never thought of being a vegan and I would be worried about ensuring a child got all the nutrition it needed for healthy growth, but I expect if you are a vegan, you would need to know exactly what you were doing. It would be difficult for a mum or dad to cook non-vegan food for their children I suspect.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
02-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I have never thought of being a vegan and I would be worried about ensuring a child got all the nutrition it needed for healthy growth, but I expect if you are a vegan, you would need to know exactly what you were doing. It would be difficult for a mum or dad to cook non-vegan food for their children I suspect.
Yes, I think you are right Angie, and if the child had never known a diet including animal products I suspect he/she wouldn't miss them. I am sure our diet whether vegetarian or otherwise falls short of all our required vitamins, then we can take supplements, (even B12 ) no big deal, obviously thousands do as there is a demand for multivits, etc.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
03-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
I admire vegitarians and to some extent vegans because I wish I had the strength of character to say no to meat but I am weak

I hate the thought of animals being killed and especially the way so many animals are kept and I try to push it to the back of my mind. I have made an attempt to stop in stages i.e. I haven't eaten lamb for a year and hope to move onto other animals in time. I know many vegitarians who are healthy with their diet so it is not strictly necessary to eat dead animals (she says while thinking about having a steak for tea!!).
i wouldnt say your 'weak; if say that you dont want to be veggie which is OK!!!

ive only jsut got to that point with my family (all vegan & veggie execpt my mum) im ALWAYS made to feel awful everytime i see them its ALL they talk about to the point where i now refuse to take part and leave the room or i get it down my neck

i dont want to be veggie i dont want to be vegan i love fish i love chicken, heck gimmie a nice bit of meat anyday over some tofu!

sorry everyone has there own opionins, ive seen the videos of under cover people in awful farms, playing foot ball with chickens heads, slitting cows throats, stunning pigs & gutting them, and i can honestly say they all have been brought up for a reason, to be eaten, had 'nice lifes' (in the people which stick to standards) & were killed in the nicest ways (bar playing football with a chicken!)

i just dont feel 'guilty' about it anymore unless the entire world goes vegan, which it wont, its still going to happen, so lets do it in the best envirnment and way possible

everyone to there own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
Yes, but vegetarians eat eggs, whcih contain B12
thing is some veggies dont eat eggs and vegans dont.

people always go on about them that they dont get there vits you can get ALL vits from fruit & veg!!!

you dont have to eat a animals to get it, and i wouldnt be worried about kids health cos they dont eat a dead piece of flesh, which is what it is! or a glass of milk, which oddly enough barely contains any calcium at all!

most kids eat a pile of crap now anyway, frozen chips/burgers/chocolate/sweets

what they dont eat they do not miss! if you didnt give them sweet stuff, which at a certain point (cant rem the age think it might be 8 months) if you give them sweet stuff there palat changes and they dont want the other stuff again!

if you dont give them crap.........they wont want it!

i never had a take away untill i was 15!! my mum cooked everyday, was aloowed choci at weekends on a firday night to me it was a 'special day' and on sundays my mum baked a real home made cake!

was a real family affair eating / cooking, sadly now days everyones 'so busy'

sorry gone off topic here!!!! anyway you can get ALL VITS without supplements and meat, just eat the right amount of veg really!

my sisters sone who is vegan eats EVERYTHING that other kids have accept it does not xcontain dairy/animals and no additaives his not hyper at all either like alot of kids you see!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
03-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #29

My cousin was Vegetarian for a while and she suffered badly because of it; as a teenager she suffered bad periods (month long ones etc.) and so has had a problem with iron levels. I think going vege was something she did because her best friend at hte time did. It suited her friend down to teh ground, but she couldn't cope - it just didn't suit her personal biology. The moment she started eating meat again she was like a different person.

I think my body's biology is the same. I make sure I eat a steak the night before my period or I have no energy on the first day. If I don't eat meat at all for about 3 days I just don't feel right; very lethargic etc. I don't think I have an iron deficieny, but my body copes very well from a high meat diet.

My ultimate cuisine is french! Foie gras, steak dianne, duck mmm. I am a huge meat eater and can't imagine being any other way.

My auntie is vegan but she brought her son up vegetarian (allowing fish). I still don't think this is fair; I think everyone should be allowed to make their own informed decision when an adult, and until that point be allowed to eat a 'normal, healthy' diet. He's never had a bit of poultry, game or red meat in his life; what if one day he eats a burger when he's 17? I imagine his system might not cope very well.

Huge respect for vegetarians and vegans; but I don't like people that preach to me saying I should feel guilty for not being one; I know my own body and I know I need meat. I don't think it should be enforced upon minors, as they should be able to make their own decisions when older.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
07-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #30

I personally believe that veganism is a personal choice. Therefore, if I were vegan, I would not raise my child vegan although their diet would obviously be very affected for a great portion of their childhood.

Just like how I am agnostic and plan to raise a child with plenty of religious education, so that they can study and perhaps make a choice one day that is suitable for them.

Veganism and vegetarianism can be a wee bit dangerous is not done properly, also. You can live fine and healthy with such a choice, but you need to make sure that you are eating the right foods to get your needed nutrition.