Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Family history on your computer?

Okay I know that some of you do family history, I am looking for tree maker sort of thing for my Mom she does family history and I thought getting her the "treemaker" sort of thing would be a good idea...anyone reccomend one reasonably "fool proof" and I suppose anything I should stay away from?
And anything you have found that is indespensible?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #2

Re: Family history on your computer?

I have just installed Family History 4 Kazz - too early to say how good it is. I had all my research online at Ancestry and was able to download the whole file to my computer. Best to be sure it's GEDCOM compatible. FH4 was around £34, which IMO makes it reasonably priced. There are several comparison sites - it just depends on what your mom wants to be able to do with it - eg. load photos etc or research census records and Birth Marriage and Death Registers. Calismum has loads more experience than I do and I think MrsH enjoys family history research too. There may be others!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #3

Not sure she knows what she wants to do but she does enjoy family history and went ot the day classes....last year. I will ask her to see what her friend from the club has as Mom likes that.All help appreciated......I am a novice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
12-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #4

Only on for 5 mins kazz - but google 'bbc family history' and they have lots of hints and tips for beginners. They also have some pro formas that can be downloaded. I'll give a fuller reply probably tomorrow. Going out tonight for a fish tea!

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #5

There are lots of different programmes available and it is so hard to say which is better than the other. A lot of them are very focussed on American history and census info etc so I would make sure you buy one that is more focussed on the country the family are from and lived through most of the generations.

I have been tracing my tree off and on for arouns 15 years and only the last 5 or 6 years did I decide to buy a computer programme. Before that I kept it all on sheets and files.

Given that most people will know their mother and father I made up four files - one for each grandparent. That made it a bit easier to manage and to find things. Your Mum may prefer this way of working. If not then the programe I have is Family Tree Maker, works ok for me but my work colleague doesn't like it. The one angieh mentioned has good reputation too.

If your Mum has taken classes she'll know the importance of keeping a note of negative searches as well as positive ones. That way she won't keep going back to the same place. Having said that - I always check the 1861 census for my Great Grandfather - even though I have looked a dozen times, I just hope one day someone will realise they must have missed him off it 150 years ago and rectify their mistake!!!

Indispensible? - sense of humour, dogged determination and good memory.

Hope that ramble is of some help! If you want anything more specific - just ask.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #6

Hi Kazz - I just noticed this in my latest edition of "Family Tree"

Software Demos
Are you wondering which family history program would suit you best? You may download free trial versions of a selection of the major programs from www.ftmdata.com and try out RootsMagic, Family Historian, Legacy Family Tree, Custodian 3, and Brothers Keeper.